Spital Hill/Savile St junction - pedestrian crossing

Hi all,

I want to report a light/pedestrian crossing problem but not sure who i should report this too. The problem is that when the lights are on green coming down from Spital Hill junction (past pure gym and turning right onto Savile Street) the pedestrian lights are also on green at the exact same time.The top link is showing the junction i am referring too - cars in the right hand lane are allowed to turn right onto Savile Street (except taxis/buses) -

I have nearly been hit twice ( along receiving rude hand gestures and getting shouted at )in the last 4 weeks when i have crossed ( green man on at the time when i crossed - i am not in the habit of legging it across and taking my chances ).

https://goo.gl/maps/fFH2qBhQAUx

This second link is the pedestrian lights i am referring to.

https://goo.gl/maps/zJkBR3beVys

This next link shows the arrows on the road showing that its legal to take a right :-

https://goo.gl/maps/mb33T35D6ZQ2

Can someone help please? Who should i report this too?

Im pretty sure that on that crossing heading towards town when walking the green man As you cross the road at the first set of lights it will be a green man and the traffic will have stopped, as you cross over to the next set of lights, because of the traffic turning right from Spital Hill the next lights are on a red man. I watched it today and i took a couple of photos but i also cross that street many times. Theres no way there would be a green man and traffic turning right at the same time!

These are two separate lots of lights and crossings, while one is on green the other is on red!

Im pretty sure that on that crossing heading towards town when walking the green man As you cross the road at the first set of lights it will be a green man and the traffic will have stopped, as you cross over to the next set of lights, because of the traffic turning right from Spital Hill the next lights are on a red man. I watched it today and i took a couple of photos but i also cross that street many times. Theres no way there would be a green man and traffic turning right at the same time!

These are two separate lots of lights and crossings, while one is on green the other is on red!

Correct, right turn traffic coming from Spital Hill to Derek Dooley Way will have a green man. The adjacent crossing will be on a green man as traffic is stopped to give way for traffic turning right of Spital Hill.

i use this crossing all the time.

These are two independent crossings. The only time i have witnessed what you are describing is when drivers come through on red or amber lights from Spital Hill, turn right, but because of traffic by the time they turn right onto Savile St the crossing is actually green for the pedestrian.

So not an issue with the system just reckless driving.

But what i will never understand is why on these new crossings,the green man only appears for a brief few seconds on the display where you press the button.

When it is not safe to cross the red man stays on.

When it is safe to cross, the green man appears briefly.

It seems the rule is when both red and green are off, it means safe to cross.

I've seen so many people caught out by this because they are waiting for the green man light ...

does anyone know why this is the case?

But what i will never understand is why on these new crossings,the green man only appears for a brief few seconds on the display where you press the button.

I've seen so many people caught out by this because they are waiting for the green man light ...

You're lucky if you get a few seconds of green man, the one across the Wicker literally flashes on then straight back off.

There's 3 or 4 between the Wicker up Derek Dooley Way and past The Riverside pub that do the same and then you get the vagary of neither red or green man but which you assume means you can cross. There's one on there that flashes green then goes back to red but for about 45 seconds so you use the sequence of the lights to judge when it's safe otherwise you're stood waiting like a lemon when you could be crossing. I'm fairly sure that can't be how it's supposed to work.

i use this crossing all the time.

These are two independent crossings. The only time i have witnessed what you are describing is when drivers come through on red or amber lights from Spital Hill, turn right, but because of traffic by the time they turn right onto Savile St the crossing is actually green for the pedestrian.

So not an issue with the system just reckless driving.

Green man signal is an "invitation to cross" you are not expected to complete your crossing while the green man is showing.

Newer "PUFFIN" type crossings only have displays on the push button side of he road as while crossing, you are supposed to look at the traffic to see whether it's moving or about to set off, not just rely on having the green man signal on the far side.

The government think this way of doing it is safer. They specify the equipment which must be used on-street in the UK.

Green man signal is an "invitation to cross" you are not expected to complete your crossing while the green man is showing.

Newer "PUFFIN" type crossings only have displays on the push button side of he road as while crossing, you are supposed to look at the traffic to see whether it's moving or about to set off, not just rely on having the green man signal on the far side.

The government think this way of doing it is safer. They specify the equipment which must be used on-street in the UK.

well i would have to disagree with the govt. on this one then!

They've just taken a perfectly adequate and known system of crossing and replaced it with something else with different rules.

To make matters worse both systems are in play right next to each other in some cases.

No wonder i see people fixed to the kerb looking at the display all confused, waiting for the green man light to appear!

[snip]The problem is that when the lights are on green coming down from Spital Hill junction (past pure gym and turning right onto Savile Street) the pedestrian lights are also on green at the exact same time.The top link is showing the junction i am referring too - cars in the right hand lane are allowed to turn right onto Savile Street (except taxis/buses) -

First bold, that can't right?! It must be set wrong. For a start, the second bold should read:... cars in the right hand lane are allowedhave to turn right onto Savile Street (except buses taxis). It's rare there isn't something turning there, but when I've done it, I've not ever seen people crossing.

:huh:

Still, it seems odd if the lights are set up that way don't you think?

Mind you, I've only heard of serious car accidents on this new safe junction, not people.

I wish we had crossings like the ones I have seen in some places in China, where a loud clacker slowly starts and speeds up as the crossing time decreases. They are really good.

A point here is, why do some crossings have the green man slatted with horizontal metal bars across so you can hardly see the green man, the ones outside Heeley Retail Park, being a good example ?

---------- Post added 07-03-2017 at 14:29 ----------

How do you know if the traffic is about to set off ?

Edited by spilldig

A point here is, why do some crossings have the green man slatted with horizontal metal bars across so you can hardly see the green man, the ones outside Heeley Retail Park, being a good example ?

They are referred to as louvres. It's to stop read-through ie someone on another crossing seeing the green man and thinking it is for them. Same thing is done on the signals to traffic if read-through is thought to be a problem.

---------- Post added 07-03-2017 at 15:34 ----------

How do you know if the traffic is about to set off ?

Watch the driver, listen to the engine note.

---------- Post added 07-03-2017 at 15:46 ----------

First bold, that can't right?! It must be set wrong. For a start, the second bold should read:... cars in the right hand lane are allowedhave to turn right onto Savile Street (except buses taxis). It's rare there isn't something turning there, but when I've done it, I've not ever seen people crossing.

The green man on the crossing will not be showing at same time as a conflicting traffic movement.

Traffic signal controllers have inbuilt safeguards which switch the signals completely off in milliseconds if the controller detects a green conflict.

Never heard of a confirmed green conflict being reported on a UK traffic signal controller - ever. (and I have worked in the "industry" for decades)

---------- Post added 07-03-2017 at 15:49 ----------

Still, it seems odd if the lights are set up that way don't you think?

Mind you, I've only heard of serious car accidents on this new safe junction, not people.

You mean the "invitation to cross"? All UK signalled pedestrian crossings are set up the same way. There is ample clearance time for the pedestrian to finish off their crossing before traffic starts up. Modern crossings have on-crossing pedestrian detection which can extend the crossing time if a pedestrian is slow or there are a lot of them crossing.

The facilities are only as safe as the people who use them. People are human, they do it wrong sometimes.