Wi fi on busses.. Where did it go?

Guest busdriver1
Whenever I'm on a bus with wifi (Stagecoach or First) it usually works OK on my phone, although occasionally it says I'm connected but I can't get it to work.

However, I've noticed that the newest First single decker buses, which you sometimes get on routes 20, 40 and 41, don't have First wifi, but instead they have Moovbox wifi which I can never get to work on my phone - maybe my phone provider and Moovbox (or my model of phone and Moovbox) don't like each other?

The moovbox transmitters are fitted but dont have sim cards in hence they dont work, no signal going in so only a tracer signal going out..

---------- Post added 04-03-2017 at 01:59 ----------

That's silly, only used x1 few times but haven't actualy checked their wifi.

my general experience has been that most newer buses have wifi and older ones don't. And that routes that are longer and connect wealthy parts of society have it while most buses going to poverty areas and estates have no wifi on bus.

The X1 must have it based on it going to Rotherham and Maltby then.

Yup, that theory stands the test.

Edited by busdriver1

Examples please

Since the successful big change to the network last year most first lines servicing estates are the oldest ones without wifi if they can manage that. 75 76 are a good example of that, they used to go to chappeltown busses in much better condition, some with wifi. Now they end in an estate and are old bottom of the line without wifi.

I have had the same problem! Also the live departure tracker on my phone does not give arrival time only the scheduled time.

I have Moovit on my phone and it's pretty good, but I've realised it doesn't work at the stop I change buses at in Ecclesfield. It keeps saying the bus is 10 minutes away, all the time, then it randomly appears. I used to check it and pop into the co-op to kill 5 minutes, but I've learnt I can't rely on it.

Not just on buses but other than at home I find wi-fi slow or intermittent at best.

With 4G so cheap and so many people having access now I think its less important to have wi fi on buses.

The X1 must have it based on it going to Rotherham and Maltby then.

Yup, that theory stands the test.

But I thought you said the x1 doesn't have wifi?

Or are you suggesting maltby is a wealthy area?

Guest busdriver1
But I thought you said the x1 doesn't have wifi?

Or are you suggesting maltby is a wealthy area?

The X1 has wifi that in keeping with the X1 does not work, the rest was being ironic.

Since the successful big change to the network last year most first lines servicing estates are the oldest ones without wifi if they can manage that. 75 76 are a good example of that, they used to go to chappeltown busses in much better condition, some with wifi. Now they end in an estate and are old bottom of the line without wifi.

The 24, 52 and 120 have wifi buses. Not sure I'd call Lowedges, Darnall or Manor Top particularly wealthy areas.

I don't think 75 has ever had wi-fi as it has always normally been double deck operated and most First wi-fi buses are single deckers.

Thanks for all your replies. I can ascertain then that it is hit and miss.

Sorry, busdriver1 about assuming the driver could control it, lol, and a big XX to make up for it.

Fudbeer - I only have 250mb on my phone, because I am a cheapskate, but based my data package purchase on the fact that I could get WiFi on the busses. Everywhere else I am covered, but shall have to upgrade...or maybe start reading books, lol.

I travelled in 4 busses on Thursday, and only the number 3 home from town had it :-(

Thanx all xx

Thanks for all your replies. I can ascertain then that it is hit and miss.

Sorry, busdriver1 about assuming the driver could control it, lol, and a big XX to make up for it.

Fudbeer - I only have 250mb on my phone, because I am a cheapskate, but based my data package purchase on the fact that I could get WiFi on the busses. Everywhere else I am covered, but shall have to upgrade...or maybe start reading books, lol.

I travelled in 4 busses on Thursday, and only the number 3 home from town had it :-(

Thanx all xx

Hi glenys

You might want to have a look at the link below you can now get 1 gig data packages from a fiver a month.

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/compare/sim_only_deals/

Never found one where I could get a connection before I'd reached where I was going to. Daft gimmick in my opinion.

I catch the bus rarely, but I did notice whilst 1 car behind a stagecoach bus in slow moving traffic (whilst I was sat in the passenger seat of our car) that I auto connected to Sragecoach Wi-Fi, and it worked really fast. However I have 10gb more data than I use each month so I now try and keep wifi turned off to stop it trying to connect to every free Wi-Fi hotspot that then requires a login.

---------- Post added 06-03-2017 at 11:38 ----------

Hi glenys

You might want to have a look at the link below you can now get 1 gig data packages from a fiver a month.

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/compare/sim_only_deals/

Agreed if you buy a sim only phone contract data is very cheap. I have 18gb at £16per month over 12 months. With a free £80 amazon gift card and £30.50 cash back at quidco. So £202 per year minus £110 is less than £10per month for more data than I need.

Thanx Fudbeer :-) X

The wifi on buses can be hit and miss but I think it's usually ok and working.

Wifi buses are often allocated to different routes. For example, a stagecoach hybrid can be on the 120s one day and on the 52s the next day. On rare occasions they appeared on the SL3s.

Wifi does work on first double deckers as I've often used it.