Kamikaze pedestrians in Hillsborough

There are two Pelican crossings on Bradfield Road where it's relatively safe to cross. The raised red bit on the road near Hawksley Avenue isn't one of them. It's not safe to just walk out there if the road is busy, as it was this morning. The driver on my right stopped, it's lucky I noticed and also pulled up as the three pedestrians weren't immediately visible.

Edited by Ms Macbeth

Human nature to cut corners, take shortcuts, motorists do the same both are oblivious to inconveniencing others and both are equally as quick to blame the other for their errors in judgment.

Some drivers think these are some sort of crossing that they need to slow down for to give way to pedestrians. This sometimes creates uncertainty on both the pedestrians' side and the drivers'. This is made worse if there is more than one lane (as here). The ones in Crookes are similar.

My understanding is they are merely an attempt to suggest people cross at a particular (slightly safer) point rather than them crossing willy-nilly at several points all along the road. But pedestrians need to cross like they would anywhere else.

Some drivers think these are some sort of crossing that they need to slow down for to give way to pedestrians. This sometimes creates uncertainty on both the pedestrians' side and the drivers'. This is made worse if there is more than one lane (as here). The ones in Crookes are similar.

My understanding is they are merely an attempt to suggest people cross at a particular (slightly safer) point rather than them crossing willy-nilly at several points all along the road. But pedestrians need to cross like they would anywhere else.

Similarly, drivers need to be aware that people are likely to cross here, and should drive accordingly.

I was involved in a stupid incident last week at Hillsborough corner. I was crossing Bradfield Road on the green man heading towards Subway when a car made an illegal left turn from Middlewood Road into Bradfield Road (through the green man) and then blasted his horn and abused all of us who were walking across the road :loopy: to say he got some back from several of us was an understatement :hihi:

As for the crossing the OP mentioned, people should be wise enough to know that they can't just walk out but unfortunately some don't care.

Similarly, drivers need to be aware that people are likely to cross here, and should drive accordingly.

Yes, but then drivers need to be aware that people are likely to cross anywhere and should drive accordingly.

Sheffield has some of the most dangerous uncontrolled pedestrian crossings of any city I have ever lived in. Many of them are controlled to drivers but not to pedestrians. And the drivers controlling lights are not even visible to the pedestrian and they have to just guess on when to cross.

I was involved in a stupid incident last week at Hillsborough corner. I was crossing Bradfield Road on the green man heading towards Subway when a car made an illegal left turn from Middlewood Road into Bradfield Road (through the green man) and then blasted his horn and abused all of us who were walking across the road :loopy: to say he got some back from several of us was an understatement :hihi:

As for the crossing the OP mentioned, people should be wise enough to know that they can't just walk out but unfortunately some don't care.

That's been a problem for a while at that junction. Maybe a camera would help, or a lot of extra signage prohibiting the left turn. Although if the drivers manage to miss the current signage, I don't know if any more would make a difference.

Yes, but then drivers need to be aware that people are likely to cross anywhere and should drive accordingly.

Yes, drivers should also be aware that if pedestrians are already on the road they should allow them to cross without the need to blast on the horn or drive AT them in an attempt to hurry their journey.

When there is a zebra crossing 10 yds up the road , this is pure laziness from pedestrians .

When there is a zebra crossing 10 yds up the road , this is pure laziness from pedestrians .

They are designed to entice people to cross there in preference to crossing willy nilly along the full length of the road. They also have textured pavements to designate that they are crossing points.