Anybody on here go to tapton school .darwin lane..a.ka.1962

roy black.maurice cox.maureen callery.david wood.anita barraclough.denise jamieson..margaret willis..

Yea i remember that lot,i went when tapton first opened,came from the old springfield school.

I came from old springfield school,the head master at the time was halsworth if thats how you spell his name,a real nasty when he had his cane to show. remember being stood at bus stop on glossop road wi me ruler and pencil brand new thay were, waiting for 60 bus, they called tapton, the school of glass, because the frontage was all glass,head master wernt bad Mr North, but deputy head Mr May, one not to tangle with. some names I remember were jimmy ledger ,john cooper, david cleg, allso farmers son cant remember his name, but he had a do with Mr MAY. for revenge he planted turnip seeds on foot ball pitch, could,nt do any work for rest of day for laughing. never did learn ou,t only how painfull that cane was, alot of class distinction at that school when it first opened,most of the staff didnt have much time for us from springfield, us what lived in back to back houses and come from moor end of town, but if you came from fulwwood, ringinlow, crooks, they were the ones art teacher picked to run tuckshop.

head master wernt bad Mr North, but deputy head Mr May, one not to tangle with. ........... alot of class distinction at that school when it first opened,most of the staff didnt have much time for us from springfield, us what lived in back to back houses and come from moor end of town, but if you came from fulwwood, ringinlow, crooks, they were the ones art teacher picked to run tuckshop.

It is always the case that the Headmaster is OK, then has a tough 'enforcer' in the form of the deputy head. It was the same at Rowlinson, with Mr Kay and Todge Askham :D

Was it a catholic school? That sort of class distinction is rife in them, it was terrible at St Wilfreds at Millhouses

No not a cathlic school, I think he was just out to proof himself, THE Mr May, I wonder if thats were the saying, Two HEADS are beter than one, comes from: Tapton was knowen as a secondary modern school, they got the modern bit right, but as for school, well it all depended on which area you came from, If you came from a back to back house, area, what I can remember they didnt want to know you, unless, it was shoe inspection time, front of your shoes, had a bit of a shine, cause all muck was on the back of your trousers, If they didnt come up to the standards of the school perfect he or she sent you to see guess WHO

yea i remember that lot at Tapton the teachers and Mr North and his sidekick Mr May,sticking his chest out and trying to order the kids about until he came up with what i call the rougher element of kids from springfield who was streetwise and gave him more back than he gave so Mr may could not handle the city kids,and Mr North shaking his head as he laid out the cane and saying to me and my mates,You lot are used to this i knew it when i laid eyes on you lot and then we had 10 mins of his war service and his war years until we told him about our parents and what they did in the war and he shut up.

But if Tapton had a football game with any of the other schools who was a bit handy then the springfield kids was drafted in to soften them up a bit and have the other school team limp of the field,so the springfield back to back/slum kids came in handy for Tapton but a menace in the woodwork shop and metalwork shop,took me 3 years to make a stool then the leg fell of it .

Good for you george, only thing I ever made in wood work was a small boat,woodwork teacher made his first in stages, and we tryed to follow each stage, I can tell you this there were some weired looking boats, and when I tryed to float mine down in encliffe park during dinner hour, it turned upside down, looked just like another bit of drift wood, so there it stayed. did wood work teacher ever get his punisment stick out to you.he called it, his swisher an 18" be 4" be piece of plywood, and if he couldnt find that out came the size 14 transvestite slipper. that made your arse smart

i went to tapton in the early 60s my name is john and i remember the following,robert holmes roy kitcherman who was born the same day as myself and whos parents ran the ship inn on shalesmoor and let us use one of the cellars as a club,mick mosley barry fradley barry sidall mick greenfield barry dyson alan marshal lynn marsden barbara wilson shirley gorman .If any of you are out there id love to hear from you my email is johnunleaded@yahoo.co.uk I have enjoyed my life with lots of ups and downs but my best memories are of tapton school.Any one remember Miss Laver.

OMG! I've been browsing through the site 'cos I'm new and came across this one. My brother, Dennis Ward, went to Tapton. Anyone remember him?

Yea i remember that lot,i went when tapton first opened,came from the old springfield school.

Hello George,

Dont remember any of them, but I too went to Springfield and then went to Tapton in the early 60's.

One thing that tends to stick in my mind about Tapton was the morning assembly....... a long drawn out speech by Mr North followed by the two main school hymns:-

In Englands Green and Pleasant Land ( not so green and pleasant now is it ? )

Onward Christian Soldiers.

Couldn't get out of assembly fast enough - many times me and my mate were sent out for talking and given a couple of strokes of the cane !

Hello there,

I'm an aspiring sports journalist in my third year at the University of Sheffield. I have previously written for Sky Sports, Wisden and Sheffield Tribune.

I'm looking into Sebastian Coe's early days of running in Sheffield and after a quick bit of research found a comment from you on the following feed: https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/195321-does-anyone-know-what-school-lord-sebastion-coe-went-to-in-sheffield/

I would really appreciate any help you could provide me with this.

Best wishes

Henry Clark