West Midlands police counter the maiming of children with "Education"

True, but they do have powers of arrest and the file for prosecution is sent to the CPS.

But if they don't arrest, the courts cannot take action.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/27/fgm-should-not-prosecuted-police-force-says-claims-best-course/

The reality is that parents are hardly likely to go telling nor are victims - any medical professional involved is not going to pick up the phone to the police either.

The police need evidence as well you know it not simply to arrest but also provide for CPS to consider.

It may well be that there are many such incidents taking place how would you suggest they go about it. Where is the EVIDENCE coming from?

They might imply a better author for the tweets they put out mind you.

The reality is that parents are hardly likely to go telling nor are victims - any medical professional involved is not going to pick up the phone to the police either.

The police need evidence as well you know it not simply to arrest but also provide for CPS to consider.

It may well be that there are many such incidents taking place how would you suggest they go about it. Where is the EVIDENCE coming from?

Victims do tell.

And if medical professionals don't then they really should.

This is a crime where there is necessarily physical evidence.

It must be a hell of a lot easier to secure a conviction than some other crimes.

There's no way out of this.

The police are wilfully letting people off mutilating children. Either because they don't care about these specific children, or because they're scared of the politics involved in prosecuting the offenders.

Don't medical professionals legally have to report it when they suspect abuse?

Unlike bruises or breaks, FGM can only be as a result of abuse.

Guest sibon
Victims do tell.

And if medical professionals don't then they really should.

Medical and education professionals have a legal duty to report suspected cases of FGM in those under 18 to the police.

This is a personal responsibility and failing to make a report can have serious consequences for the individual.

Medical and education professionals have a legal duty to report suspected cases of FGM in those under 18 to the police.

This is a personal responsibility and failing to make a report can have serious consequences for the individual.

And another good law is not being enforced.

I'm aghast. I can't work out whether that don't give a crap because they're prejudiced or they're so scared of being falsely accused of prejudice that they're content to allow this horrific practise to go unpunished.

Don't medical professionals legally have to report it when they suspect abuse?

Unlike bruises or breaks, FGM can only be as a result of abuse.

Not just medical professionals. All adults who work with children have to do FGM training and report any concerns, no matter how small.

Its incredibly frustrating when you find out that you're doing your job and its being stopped at a higher level.

Do we need another Victoria Climbie type death where inter-agency failings are to blame so "lessons can be learned"?

any medical professional involved is not going to pick up the phone to the police either.

Not true.

Mandatory reporting of female genital mutilation: procedural information

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mandatory-reporting-of-female-genital-mutilation-procedural-information

Edited by alchresearch

West Midlands Police have confirmed that they will prosecute when it is the best interests of the child.

I can understand how imprisoning parents may not be in the child's best interest.

They should, however, go after the cutters with a vengeance.

I still do not think that the police should be deciding whether a case goes forward and what sentences may be appropriate.

Their job is to follow up crimes, find evidence and charge suspects.

Prosecuting cases and sentencing should be left to the CPS and the courts.

[/color]

Not true.

Mandatory reporting of female genital mutilation: procedural information

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mandatory-reporting-of-female-genital-mutilation-procedural-information

which bit is not true then ? The medic who performed the procedure picking the phone up part ?

It maybe explains why there have been so few prosecutions doesn't it ! If its so well known why have so few reports of it been made and prosecutions launched please?

West Midlands Police have confirmed that they will prosecute when it is the best interests of the child.

I can understand how imprisoning parents may not be in the child's best interest.

They should, however, go after the cutters with a vengeance.

They have now. It was obvious not their policy until they were caught out admitting their exiting policy. That ridiculously subjective 'best interests of children' get-out is still in there though.

We'll see now whether they actually get off their collective [expletive deleted] and start charging people who mutilate children with a crime.

I still do not think that the police should be deciding whether a case goes forward and what sentences may be appropriate.

Their job is to follow up crimes, find evidence and charge suspects.

Prosecuting cases and sentencing should be left to the CPS and the courts.

Nobody is disputing that. They're obviously not charging anybody. Otherwise the rest would follow as it does with all other crimes.

Herein lies the fundamental problem with Twitter: it is designed to prevent you saying what you really wanted to say, instead you have to try and condense it into something unsatisfactory. Why anyone uses it apart from airheaded celebs who have nothing to say anyway is beyond me.

A bit of both I think.

My last paragraph could read:

I don't know whether to be concerned that recent immigrants from the third world are allowed to mutilate children, or be concerned that the police don't care about crimes involving the mutilation of recent immigrant children from the third world.

I would have thought this would have little impact on the concerns naturally raised.

FGM is not a Muslm thing, it's a sub Saharan cultural practice and no where in the Quran does it say it should be done.

FGM is not a Muslm thing, it's a sub Saharan cultural practice and no where in the Quran does it say it should be done.

Various Muslim scholars of high standing have endorsed it.

But as I said earlier it doesn't change anything. This is about police and CPS policy.