West Midlands police counter the maiming of children with "Education"

https://twitter.com/GodfreyElfwick/status/836153725341351936

On the subject of FGM and prosecutions for it.

The original tweet from the West Midlands Police has since been deleted.

Manda Ponium @Manda_Ponium:

@WMPolice why have there been no prosecutions? It's the parents who arrange this so it's easy enough to track them down if reported.

West Midlands Police @WMPolice:

@Manda_Ponium Hi Manda - education and safeguarding vulnerable girls is the focus. Prosecuting / jailing parents unlikely to benefit child.

I wonder what their policy is on prosecuting "honour" killings.

I don't know whether to be concerned that Muslims are allowed to mutilate children, or be concerned that the police don't care about crimes involving the mutilation of Muslim children.

Edited by unbeliever

The authorities can always find an excuse for looking the other way if they want to.

Prosecuting parents might send out a message that mutilating their children is unacceptable in this country, I would have thought.

The authorities can always find an excuse for looking the other way if they want to.

Prosecuting parents might send out a message that mutilating their children is unacceptable in this country, I would have thought.

Well quite. It would also deter them and others from repeating the offence and offer some justice for the victim(s).

The offending parents can be "educated" in prison.

Edited by unbeliever

I don't know whether to be concerned that Muslims are allowed to mutilate children, or be concerned that the police don't care about crimes involving the mutilation of Muslim children.

Is it a muslim thing or a sub sahran africa / third world thing?

Is it a muslim thing or a sub sahran africa / third world thing?

A bit of both I think.

My last paragraph could read:

I don't know whether to be concerned that recent immigrants from the third world are allowed to mutilate children, or be concerned that the police don't care about crimes involving the mutilation of recent immigrant children from the third world.

I would have thought this would have little impact on the concerns naturally raised.

That's really not what that tweet is saying is it? They are saying their main focus is on the child which is absolutely the right way forward. If the child would suffer more by bringing prosecutions then is that the right decision? None of have all the details just this one flippant tweet. In no way does it says that muslims are 'allowed to mutilate children' so please stop being so hyperbolic.

However, I would have thought that bringing prosecutions for GBH against the ones who carry out the surgery and aiding and abetting charges for the parents would indeed be justified.

That's really not what that tweet is saying is it? They are saying their main focus is on the child which is absolutely the right way forward. If the child would suffer more by bringing prosecutions then is that the right decision? None of have all the details just this one flippant tweet. In no way does it says that muslims are 'allowed to mutilate children' so please stop being so hyperbolic.

It is absolutely right that focus should be on the child, that prevention should be pursued as far as possible and that everything should be done to help children which who we fail to protect.

But how can any of this possibly mean that adults who mutilate their children should not be prosecuted?

I'm not being hyperbolic. If they'd simply said that they're putting effort into prevention etc I'd be fine with that. But having got their hands on a clear case of child mutilation how can they possibly justify failing to punish such a horrific crime?

It is absolutely right that focus should be on the child, that prevention should be pursued as far as possible and that everything should be done to help children which who we fail to protect.

But how can any of this possibly mean that adults who mutilate their children should not be prosecuted?

I'm not being hyperbolic. If they'd simply said that they're putting effort into prevention etc I'd be fine with that. But having got their hands on a clear case of child mutilation how can they possibly justify failing to punish such a horrific crime?

I doubt highly they aren't trying to prosecute where they can. I'm sure we pretty much all agree on this subject BTW! I'm just concerned that one single tweet seems to be turned into WMP saying FGM is ok.

I doubt highly they aren't trying to prosecute where they can. I'm sure we pretty much all agree on this subject BTW! I'm just concerned that one single tweet seems to be turned into WMP saying FGM is ok.

They concede that there has not been a single prosecution, even though the crime in question has been committed multiple times.

Then they seek to justify that.

You cannot reasonably interpret this conversation as anything other than a policy of letting FGM perpetrators off.

They're not saying it's okay. They're saying that their policy is to forgive and understand it and seek to educate the offenders on the error of their ways. That's insane for a crime of this nature.

They concede that there has not been a single prosecution, even though the crime in question has been committed multiple times.

You cannot reasonably interpret this conversation as anything other than a policy of letting FGM perpetrators off.

They're not saying it's okay. They're saying that their policy is to forgive and understand it and seek to educate the offenders on the error of their ways. That's insane for a crime of this nature.

Hmmmm, yes if that's what's actually happening then I agree.

It is not the police who determine who is to be prosecuted and what for.

It is not the police who determine who is to be prosecuted and what for.

True, but they do have powers of arrest and the file for prosecution is sent to the CPS.

But if they don't arrest, the courts cannot take action.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/27/fgm-should-not-prosecuted-police-force-says-claims-best-course/

the best course of action is to “educate parents”.

Load of rubbish. You can't educate them into changing their beliefs or culture, no matter how wrong it is.

A case of female genital mutilation (FGM) is either discovered or treated at a medical appointment in England every hour, a charity has said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38878298