The Premier League - Bad For English Football - Discuss!!

The advent of the Premier League in the early 90’s was supposed to be a new dawn for the English game, it now appears to be possibly one of the worst things that has happened to it.

My take on it is that its given power totally to the TV companies and the only interest is making billions selling the viewing rights, the integrity of clubs and especially the fans are very low down the priority list and the national side is seen as an inconvenience, agents are player power are rife and the whole thing is an expensive circus.

Yea but people have been saying money has ruined the game for decades.

I'm sure you'll see more clubs collapsing due to money issues in the future, but unless the FA or FIFA step in and do something it's only going to get more out of hand.

I'm interested to see if Man Utd sell Rooney to China, that's gotta be well over £100m deal right there. I'd be shocked if it didn't break all records.

There seems to me to be too much of a gap between the Premier and the next division.

There's bog-all TV money for the lower divisions though, the last premier league TV rights sales netted over 5 billion quid.

It's something mental like 10 million per game.

There is no denying it has changed football - completely. Can you say it's ruined it??

Without the money there wouldnt be the stadium of today, the training facilities and the technology. But in an ever evolving world it's just natural progression with time.

The "Premier League" however for me has bad points and good points. I think we would all like to be able to see games on terrestrial TV - personally i would love a 3pm Sunday game like in the old days and that was the only weekend game on TV. Midweek games - show as many as you like on TV (beats watching soaps) but a weekend should be 1 live game.

The money should be shared more equally between all team across the leagues. This would save a lot of smaller clubs going into administration and your bigger teams would still earn more through larger attendances, merchandising etc

Wages are ridiculous for players - i would be in favour of a cap here to make things more interesting.

I also think younger players that get snapped up by big clubs from lower league - well there should be an age limit where they can buy young players only if they are over 21 or something like that. Far too many players are sat at these big clubs who have been bought when 16 / 17 / 18 off the back of a few good games in the lower leagues. Let these players play for the teams who have brought them through. It may make some of the lower leagues more entertaining than hoof and hope.

Plenty of ideas and thoughts on this but at the end of the day we have to live with it how it is

I agree that the money now involved in the Premier League has made it a difficult task for lower league teams to compete. However, there has been an increased amount of money filtering down into the Championship over the last few seasons which will give teams more of a chance of survival upon promotion.

Although a few young players such as Rashord, Davies (Everton) etc have started to break through i do feel as though younger players need more of a chance.