Boeing expand operations in Sheffield with new £20M factory

By the same sleight of hand that Sheffield try to claim the Catcliffe in ROTHERHAM site, they also have an airport, but that's in DONCASTER. You couldn't make it up! They have been smarting ever since they failed to get permission to redraw the boundaries so the ROTHERHAM site came under their jurisdiction, so they say, near Sheffield or Sheffield City Region. But it is good news for all.

Mods have told everybody to leave the 'Sheffield or Rotherham' bickering out.

Give it a rest. ZZZZZZzzzzzz......

I must admit I am surprised at all the continuing negative discussions over the Sheffield airport. In the swing of things, relative to Sheffield's growth and future economic development, it is not a big deal in my opinion.

There are airports around Sheffield that will take todays narrow bodies such as the B737/A320 etc, all with a 6 hour/2,800 mile range. (Wide bodies are not really in the picture). Leeds, Manchester, Doncaster, East Midlands etc, are all about a 30-45 minute ground commute

Sheffield was built with a runway that would only handle 40-50 seat turboprops. These aircraft were already leaving UK scheduled flights scenario. The seat costs on these aircraft were too high esp. for leisure travelers.

Plus Sheffield has a good train schedule, I use it regularly if I fly into Manchester or London.

I don't believe Boeing would have given much consideration into the "No Sheffield airport" situation

If Boeing come to Sheffield, then all surrounding towns will benefit, and it might be the start of something positive if more high tech companies follow. Lets support the move, the airport issue is not a negative.

Edited by glennpickard
punctuation

This is very good news. They don't need an airport to either produce or deliver actuators.

The fact that Boeing are coming is VG news for the Sheffield area and its move into a manufacturing "High Tech" area. Boeing will have done a very in depth study on the transport links, the local manufacturing levels, security, local cost of living etc.

AMRC should now get to other high tech manufacturers in western Europe, southern England, Canada, China, Brazil etc, touting the Sheffield area as a great place to do business. With the message "If its good for Boeing its good for the industry as a whole."

Boeing are a good employer and I hope that Sheffielders with experience and qualifications go to see them

I am sure they are already touting all over the place, I wouldn't be surprised if more is to follow

I must admit I am surprised at all the continuing negative discussions over the Sheffield airport. In the swing of things, relative to Sheffield's growth and future economic development, it is not a big deal in my opinion.

There are airports around Sheffield that will take todays narrow bodies such as the B737/A320 etc, all with a 6 hour/2,800 mile range. (Wide bodies are not really in the picture). Leeds, Manchester, Doncaster, East Midlands etc, are all about a 30-45 minute ground commute

Sheffield was built with a runway that would only handle 40-50 seat turboprops. These aircraft were already leaving UK scheduled flights scenario. The seat costs on these aircraft were too high esp. for leisure travelers.

Plus Sheffield has a good train schedule, I use it regularly if I fly into Manchester or London.

I don't believe Boeing would have given much consideration into the "No Sheffield airport" situation

If Boeing come to Sheffield, then all surrounding towns will benefit, and it might be the start of something positive if more high tech companies follow. Lets support the move, the airport issue is not a negative.

There is Sheffield Airport in Doncaster :thumbsup:

Just like Leeds/Bradford

Out of interest how much space is there for building new sites at the AMRC?

The Boeing announcement was quite anticlimactic. How many new jobs will actually be created?

Just 30. Not exactly earth shattering and there is absolutely no guarantee that they the jobs will go to incumbent residents of South Yorkshire either.

Andy:

yes the geography of the airport has been discussed before, but I find it to be secondary.

The Beluga aircraft (a modified Airbus A300 I believe) was used to only move completed Airbus wings and fuselage barrels.

The actuators are used to move and "Actuate" moving surfaces such as flaps or spoilers, on the wing, not the wing itself, of Boeing 737 and 777 series aircraft. They are heavy and usually do not have to be moved in a rush, so secure ground transportation will be effective.

What is super important here is that Rolls Royce and MacLaren have already selected Sheffield and the AMRC facility. With Boeing joining them (Boeing themselves not a contractor), this is very strategic. If Sheffield plays its cards right (it has done so far), this may well be the tip of the "High tech company" iceberg !

Someone was concerned that Boeing is only bringing 30 jobs. To start with. Boeing will "Test the water." If the completed products are high quality and value for investment, more aircraft components will follow, then more Boeing investment and consequently more jobs !

Boeing produce actuators in Portland, Wash. Sheffield's actuator costs and quality will be compared to Portlands, so cost controls and efficiencies will be imperative at the soon to be Sheffield facility.

Go Sheffield go !!!

Andy:

yes the geography of the airport has been discussed before, but I find it to be secondary.

The Beluga aircraft (a modified Airbus A300 I believe) was used to only move completed Airbus wings and fuselage barrels.

The actuators are used to move and "Actuate" moving surfaces such as flaps or spoilers, on the wing, not the wing itself, of Boeing 737 and 777 series aircraft. They are heavy and usually do not have to be moved in a rush, so secure ground transportation will be effective.

What is super important here is that Rolls Royce and MacLaren have already selected Sheffield and the AMRC facility. With Boeing joining them (Boeing themselves not a contractor), this is very strategic. If Sheffield plays its cards right (it has done so far), this may well be the tip of the "High tech company" iceberg !

Someone was concerned that Boeing is only bringing 30 jobs. To start with. Boeing will "Test the water." If the completed products are high quality and value for investment, more aircraft components will follow, then more Boeing investment and consequently more jobs !

Boeing produce actuators in Portland, Wash. Sheffield's actuator costs and quality will be compared to Portlands, so cost controls and efficiencies will be imperative at the soon to be Sheffield facility.

Go Sheffield go !!!

I agree. This is great news for Sheffield. Just the latest of several little high tech acorns.

I have a slight concern that a protectionist Trump administration might not like Boeing moving manufacturing outside the USA, but other than that it's all good news.

I agree. This is great news for Sheffield. Just the latest of several little high tech acorns.

I have a slight concern that a protectionist Trump administration might not like Boeing moving manufacturing outside the USA, but other than that it's all good news.

Ironic is it not when we are concerned about jobs not being allowed to benefit us because of protectionist ideals of another country. The very same ideals some of us are spouting all the time.

Ironic is it not when we are concerned about jobs not being allowed to benefit us because of protectionist ideals of another country. The very same ideals some of us are spouting all the time.

I totally agree. "Be careful what you wish for" comes to mind.

Out of interest how much space is there for building new sites at the AMRC?

There's a good bit of land still free on the AMRC side (if you're driving towards Handsworth with Morrisons behind you, its the land on your right between the road and railway line where the wind turbines are). I had a drive up on Saturday.

There's lots more at Waverley though (that's all the land on the left with the housing estate at the far end) and the Sheffield Business Park (airport, other side of the parkway).

The section between the main housing estate and Mitchell way by the Winter Green pub has just been properly fenced off presumably for work to start on the next batch of houses. Helpfully that will mean a proper crossing point from Stephenson Way to the tarmac cycle / pedestrian pathway that goes back to Handsworth . I imagine as some point they will have to downgrade Highfield Spring from 40 to 30 mph as it become more residential and / or stick in yet another roundabout .

Still not worked out what they are building between Waverly Cottages (railway bridge) and Whittle Way on the land beside the parkway way but they've significantly upgraded the power lines going to it since the summer and flattened the whole area so that it currently resembles a vast paddy field