Boeing expand operations in Sheffield with new £20M factory

Ah shame - that would have made sense for them really! Fly the bits to places - McClaren could have done the same!

McClaren presumably races their parts to locations in cars! But very exciting news.. there have been a few threads on here about the impact of the university on the city, and I'm glad to see this positive one!

McClaren presumably races their parts to locations in cars! But very exciting news.. there have been a few threads on here about the impact of the university on the city, and I'm glad to see this positive one!

Is that the one that they are planning to build on Doncaster gate or something else?

By hand to a van -to a plane -to a manufacturing base They are making "actuators" -dozens of which will fit in a white van.

LOL, I was about to say that, they are not building planes in Sheffield:roll:

---------- Post added 24-02-2017 at 14:00 ----------

Can I just add, I had no idea this had been discussed before, only to then get jumped on about it! Not the most welcoming for a forum really is it!!

Well I spent the first eleven years of my life in Catcliffe, and then it was neither Rotherham or Sheffield, but considered the West Riding. I had to have special bus passes for school because, I did all my schooling in Sheffield, as I was Catholic. However neither Sheffield nor Rotherham would supply one, same when I moved to Brinsworth. However this could all have changed, but what does it matter anyways. As I said I went to school in Sheffield, I worked for Sheffield companies, I married a Sheffielder, I supported Wednesday my whole life and when I am asked what part of England I came from, I always say Sheffield :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

What are the public transport links to the site like? Prospective apprentices in particular won't necessarily have access to their own transport to get there.

you should see the car show and chaos that is the apprentice training centre every day .

Yes the whole site is crying out for investment in transport infrastructure by which i dont mean just extra lanes on the parkway from 33 to Catcliffe

Good news for Sheffield the Boeing factory, when the tata steel factory was

up for sale in Redcar it was grim news for the men, i worked in the steel works

in Sheffield at Firth Browns. I enjoyed my life there with a good job, well

i'am so passionate now the men in work and hope there are lots of

jobs for Sheffield for the Boeing.

How do they move the parts I wonder? Massive trucks, or is it more likely to be rail? (Not sure on rail links there). Just thinking traffic impact?

If we had an airport they could fly them out in that beluga whale thing!

By the same sleight of hand that Sheffield try to claim the Catcliffe in ROTHERHAM site, they also have an airport, but that's in DONCASTER. You couldn't make it up! They have been smarting ever since they failed to get permission to redraw the boundaries so the ROTHERHAM site came under their jurisdiction, so they say, near Sheffield or Sheffield City Region. But it is good news for all.

Some meanies on here. Can't recognise good news:rolleyes:

Anyone fancy starting a thread-Topic being 'is Sheffield in Rotherham?

Good news by the way for Sheffrum.

This is very good news. They don't need an airport to either produce or deliver actuators.

The fact that Boeing are coming is VG news for the Sheffield area and its move into a manufacturing "High Tech" area. Boeing will have done a very in depth study on the transport links, the local manufacturing levels, security, local cost of living etc.

AMRC should now get to other high tech manufacturers in western Europe, southern England, Canada, China, Brazil etc, touting the Sheffield area as a great place to do business. With the message "If its good for Boeing its good for the industry as a whole."

Boeing are a good employer and I hope that Sheffielders with experience and qualifications go to see them

Guest makapaka

Great news keep em coming

Excellent news indeed.

(I could say a lot more about the demise of Sheffield airport, but I don't want to spoil a positive thread.)