Boeing expand operations in Sheffield with new £20M factory

"Boeing plans to open its first manufacturing plant in Britain, picking Sheffield to make critical parts for its best-selling 737 and 777 airliners.

The company has earmarked the Northern city for a £20m investment where it will produce complex parts for “actuators” which move flaps on the jets’ wings.

The decision is notable as the US aerospace giant is bringing work in-house, rather than subcontracting it out to the supply chain as is common.

Sir Michael Arthur, president of Boeing in the UK, said: “We are ramping up production of our aircraft and want to have more control over key systems in our aeroplanes. We need the right quality and want to do it ourselves.”

Planning permission is currently being applied for to build the 25,000 sq ft factory near the University of Sheffield’s Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre, with further funding also coming from city’s regional authority.

It is hoped once the factory is built the first parts will be produced in late 2018, with an initial staff of 30, though this could well be expanded."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/02/24/boeing-selects-sheffield-first-british-manufacturing-plant/

More promising news for Sheffield with the McLaren factory! The AMRC continues to bring a lot of development and prosperity to the region.

I also feel like I'm seeing a lot more new buildings springing up throughout the city... :huh:

Great news - a big decision by Boeing and long term too. With luck more will follow.

Is the AMRC thing where I think it is? Near Morrisons on the Parkway?

Isn't that Rotherham?

Yawn... please, not the "is it Sheffield or Rotherham" debate again.

Sorry, have I missed something? (Other than your poor sarcasm). Has this been discussed before?

Great news :) anyone keeping an eye on the jobs pages? ;)

Ironic that an aircraft company is making aircraft parts in a city that does not have an airport!

Is the AMRC thing where I think it is? Near Morrisons on the Parkway?

Isn't that Rotherham?

Let's put this to bed. The Morrisons side of the parkway is Rotherham. The side this will be built on, where the old airport was and where AMRC Factory 2050 now stands, is Sheffield.

But it really doesn't matter. It's bloody good news and if everyone could just play nicely together we might keep heading in the right direction.

I agree, please stick to the topic without any petty arguments this time.

Thank you.