Fitness/Gyms in Sheffield

Originally posted by sezzlyJ

I want to join the Virgin gym, is there a joining fee and if so do you know whether there is any offers on ?

There is a joining fee of £50, but I don't know anyone who has paid it.

Just do what i did, say something like "Oh yeah, I realy want to join but it will have to be next month, when I've saved-up the joining fee, I can't afford to payout £90 all in one go", they waived the fee there and then :0)

Thanks for that i will give it a try !!

I'm looking to join a gym but want a nice and friendly but cheap one. It will be my first gym and don't want to many serious muscle men around. Anywhere in Sheffield because can travel.

Any Recommendations?

Fitness First is pretty good and not too expensive.

agreed fitness first ace - free tea, coffee, juice, video/dvd rentals, shampoo etc. staff brill, not too many muscle freaks, and you get to listen to music via their headphones. its open til late and you can use any fitness first over country for £29month

so yeah, over all its good!

try ponds forge in town - access to three other venues in sheffield (don valley, hillsborough & concord) unlimited swimming, fitness classes etc, £19.99 a month off peak, £26.99 peak membership...

Originally posted by NATALIESHEFF

agreed fitness first ace - free tea, coffee, juice, video/dvd rentals, shampoo etc. staff brill, not too many muscle freaks, and you get to listen to music via their headphones. its open til late and you can use any fitness first over country for £29month

so yeah, over all its good!

That's interesting - as we have a Fitness First in our area... well, in Lewisham (apparently - never been to it) Is it £29. per month?

Cheers

Alex

Executive Ladies Health Club

Lescar Buildings/Lescar La, Sheffield, S11 8XQ

Tel: 0114-267 9379

you could try here.

As far as I am aware the membership is £10 per annum and then you pay around £3 each time you go.

well i pay 29 and ive been there a while, they always have offers on esp near christmas. ours has got a seperate gym upstairs and a small one downstairs as well as the massive one. good if you are shy or new etc.. i have been at all times of days and never had to wait for a machine

Try Fitness Unlimited - you get to use Hillsborough Leisure Centre, Ponds Forge, Concord Sports Centre and Don Valley Stadium!!

It's £26.99 peak & 19.99 off peak - you get unlimited swimming, gyms all classes included and health spa's - the best thing is it's not full of posers and professional athletes either so you dont feel like a turnip.

Go down to one of the centres they give you a free tour and you might even get a corporate discount if you work for any of the large companies on their books.:thumbsup:

I've been going to Hillsborough for about 6 months now and it's fantastic, the staff are really helpful and it is very friendly place to go.

The only problem with fitness first is that if you go to ponds forge at peak times (i.e- just after 5) your usually stood around waiting for machines for agaes while your body cools down, not sure what its like at hillsborough tho, and in the sauna area there is usually groups of oldish men who are speaking in funny languages.

There is one on the moor thats ok- no swimming pool or anything but its a good solid basic gym and its pretty cheap too.

u cant use ponds forge with fitness first, ur thinking o f other one that inc concorde and don.

with that one can you go ice skating too? if you wanted