Fitness/Gyms in Sheffield

Is it true that a minor can come with you for £5 a month or something. Im thinking of joining virgin as its about 2 mins from my house but my little sister who's 14 keeps on bugging me about coming with me, as she she said that for children can have a months membership for £5 when with a full paying adult member.

Is this true or is she just making it up?

Originally posted by Genie

Is it true that a minor can come with you for £5 a month or something. Im thinking of joining virgin as its about 2 mins from my house but my little sister who's 14 keeps on bugging me about coming with me, as she she said that for children can have a months membership for £5 when with a full paying adult member.

Is this true or is she just making it up?

£10 a month for kids. The "funky football" classes were my son's favourite. Your sister might enjoy the teenagers aerobics classes. Not sure at what age they are allowed in the actual gym though - so she might be stuck on her own in the kids classes.

Thanks for that. Well at least now i can investigate it she often gets the wrong end of the stick so i thought this might be another example.

Unrelated to the topic, how do you get the Avatars on. As theres no options to pick from plus i can't see where you can even up load one.

Its ok. not quite a flash as the others and definately no posers. People seem to be either the fitness freaks or people who are just wanting to lose a bit of weight. I only went for a month on a £30 promotional thing.

Not sure about prices though. Put this way if your determind to get fit or lose weight without being bothered about looking flash in the latest gym, sherbet is fine.

I only went to the one above boots. I enjoyed my experience with them. staff were nice and friendly, and it even had a personal touch to it with it being a small company. And as far as i can remember everyone went by themselves, no came in pairs or anything.

hmm i've had a look around green's and visited the cage website, and i'm not very impressed - i've just moved to sheffield and want to find a no frills gym (low-cost, friendly but serious) - all i need is a crosstrainer (or ski machine) and some REAL free weights (i.e. not smith machine). any ideas?

cheers,

aka

You could try the university gym - it has cross trainers, free weights and even a squat rack *gasp* though it does have Smith machine as well - oh well you can't have everything!

http://www.shef.ac.uk/usport/

There is a excellent gym at netherthorpe living centre,and its very cheap to go there.

Everything you need is at hand.

good gyms at ponds forge - loads of kit that does the job - good value and membership includes hillsborough and concord plus pools etc

check out http://www.ponds-forge.co.uk

good luck!

i go to virgin active nearly everyday sometimes more than once a day.

Its a great gym, Great facilities and great staff.

the members are mostly cool too, a nice mix of people.

It's expensive from what I can remember. I think when I called them it was around £40 per month and no discount for poor students!

I'm cancelling my SIV membership in favour of the college gym. It will only cost me £11 per month. It will be a shame that there isn't a swimming pool but I can't afford not to join it.

Virgin Active is a great gym - but isn't cheap.

Its 42 quid a month, unless you joined straight away when it opened as I believe they did a cheaper deal then (about 39 a month i think)

I've been a member of Greens, Fitness Unlimited and S10 (Sheffield Uni) and find Virgin the best in terms of facilities, and atmosphere.