Fitness/Gyms in Sheffield

Virgin Active down Broadfield Road's quite good. Its £42 a month but you only have to join for a month after that you can leave.

Right hi tec gear and luvly spa / sauna bit.

I go to the Living Well Health Club at the Hilton, its really cool coz you get a personal trainer until you've achieved what weight/build you're hoping for...you also get a pvt pool, jacuzzi, sauna (towels provided! so your gym bag's manageable & yay!!! no burn marks on yr shoulder/sore arms ready to jump out of their sockets from all that carrying :P) you also get pamper sessions after your work-out if you so wish...

I use the Fitness Unlimited at Hillsborough leisure centre. It was £25.99 but has just been increased to £26.99.

I think it is good value for money. I use the gym and sauna 3 times a week. I also swim and do classes when I feel like it.

The only downside to it is it's popularity. If you can get down in the day then it's fantastic because it's almost empty. If you go straight from work as I do then it's really busy and you often have to wait to get on the machines.

Hopefully they might expand the gym. Afterall they've increased the price so there must be some extra cash for more machines. Well I'm hoping anyway.

Depends what you're after Letstat - an aerobic workout at one of the big corporate posing places or just a place where you can lift some weights, use a bench etc.

Originally posted by steelblade

I use the Fitness Unlimited at Hillsborough leisure centre. It was £25.99 but has just been increased to £26.99.

I think it is good value for money. I use the gym and sauna 3 times a week. I also swim and do classes when I feel like it.

The only downside to it is it's popularity. If you can get down in the day then it's fantastic because it's almost empty. If you go straight from work as I do then it's really busy and you often have to wait to get on the machines.

Hopefully they might expand the gym. Afterall they've increased the price so there must be some extra cash for more machines. Well I'm hoping anyway.

I attend these gym and I used to work for SIV, the price goes down after you have been a member for over a year, I have been a member for a few years and mine is £19.99, they also do corporate membership for groups from the same employment joining together and certain workplaces, e.g. Council etc.

As you can use any of the venues in the company they upgarded Hilsbrough gym as a trial and if it is successfull, as I'm sure it has been then they will do the same to the other venues.

The best advice for gym's is to pay when you go that way you wont be paying £££ s and only using it a few times.

paying £40 per month thats £480 per year ( or 160 visits to the gym at £3 per visit) Do you really think you will go that many times a year . So find a gym that you can pay as you train.

unless you already know that you will spend that much.

Swimming at ponds forge @ peak, £3.85, do that twice a week for a month, £30.8. peak membership £26/month.

Wow! Hillsborough Leisure Centre is alot bigger than i expected. The Gym is huge and theres also a steam room & sauna which is just what i need.

I've gone for 19.99 a month with which i've already saved a load of money cos i go twice a week! very happy with my choice. Oh, and i've got my personal programme next week - no cost! It was £25 at another gym i asked.

Does anyone go to Greens? I go two or three times a week and am getting bored going on my own. It'd be nice to have a training partner. PM me if interested.

Further to this thread, come someone tell me which gyms are the closest and most convenient to reach from the Tapton area, as I am coming to uni in September and as a 4 or 5 times a week gym-goer I want/need to keep this up. I know that students can get a decent deal at the Goodwin via the Usport link with the uni, is this the best place to go? Is it any good? Cheers.

I use the university gym and find it very good - it has a nice range of free weights, batches of cardio and resistance machines, a pool and all the other gubbins you may want. The only bad point about it is it tends to get very crowded just after Christmas and in the first month or so of the academic year.

All the people with good intentions who don't keep them up I suppose. I e-mailed the Goodwin and they told me they will be annoucing special offers for freshers soon so hopefully I'll get a good deal.