Fitness/Gyms in Sheffield

is there any good gyms in shefield, i mean proper gyms with free weights

Free weights? What do you mean? Free to take away? Free as in not attached to a machine? Sorry, not sure of the definition here.

Originally posted by Classic Rock

Free as in not attached to a machine?

Correct.

yes, it is your dumbells and barbells where you can change the weight at either end usually with discs of steel or plastic filled with sand.

i have heard virgin fitness centre has got over 200 free weights so that would be good, but you have jamies gym down next to bramall lane where the power lifters go (he was an olympic champion) so it depends what youd be wanting to do.

I used Virgin for a while but to be honest wasn't that impressed witht he set up - I now use the university gym which is good for free weight (and convenient to me!) Apparently the gym at Don Valley is an bit of a spit and sawdust gym with many free weights so it may be worth a look?

Concorde has plenty of free weights and machines, plus treadmills, bikes etc etc.

I go to Greens, just round the corner from the pub (and no, I don't drive there!) and they have lots of free weights. I do the Body Max class which is essentially exercise using 'free weights' to music. Plenty of them in the gym room too.

Expensive membership though......

Whats the best Gym to join in Sheffield? The last time i joined i only went about 5 times and then just never went again!! not because i didn't like it, i just didn't get the time - so it was a nice waste of money. Im thinking of starting up again to lose weight but need one that will actually make me want to keep going.

I read in the Star that Hillsborough Leisure Centre Gym won the 2004 award for best gym, so might nip down and see it. Anyone got any views?

am also wanting to join a gym used to be a member but cost far to much and could afford it then, how much are they now

Hillsborough leisure centre is part of fitness unlimited. So £25/month and you can use the gym there and at Ponds forge and all the other facilities (swimming, sauna, etc...) and you get a discount on court hire for things like badminton/squash.

phoned up this morning, found out it's £26.99 a month for full membership and £19.99 for off peak which isn't bad considering you get to use Concord, Ponds Forge & Don Valley too. Also theres no 12 month contract, it's initially for 3 months then you can cancel or keep it going month by month.

I was also told you get a fitness trainer too for a month or so! I think this'll be the one for me as all the others are far more expensive and want you to sign up for ages.

If you work for sheffield city council, the corporate membership is only £19.50 a month for peak times