Driving licence issue No.

Just renewed my provisional licence and noticed the issue number (last 2 digits after driving number) is 13. I had lost my old one, not replaced it, but now it is due a new photo so I applied for a new one.

I'm 99% sure I've only ever had 1 previous one - it may possibly be 2, I might have had 1 replacement years ago. I'd expect issue number to be 2 or 3. OH has has several replacements that we can count and his is 05, which makes sense to us, this is his 5th as far as we can count.

Just rang DVLA and was told the issue number is just random? If thats true what is the point of the issue number?

Don't want to think someones been stealing the details off my lost one and applying for more in my name!

The issue numbers on mine have always follwed sequentially... there would be absolutely no point in having an issue number if it was to be otherwise. Think the DVLA was spouting bovine excrement.

Mine is 23 and definitely had 2/3 licence so far. Had not effected anything :)

Very strange and I fail to see the point of an "issue number" if it would just be a random number lol she did say on the phone that issue numbers would likely be sequential, not always though, but the first one is random? Maybe they need to think of a better description for it than "issue number" :hihi:

Errm. jeepers, accordingly i'm on licence number 41, however, many changes over the years could be responsible for that, many address changes including many moves duringing my military service, change from paper to card, many upgrades HGV 1 and 2, PCV, and tracked, then loss off PCV and HGV for medical reasons, change of pic due to not looking like i did in 1987, lol, maybe 41 don't seem so many now, lol

It might be an anti-forgery measure. If the issue number is calculated from other information on the licence, if it doesn't match you can tell it's not legit.