End of an era at Baldwins Omega

I went there for a works Christmas party when I was working for Cloud Electronics on Staniforth Road, which would have been 1992 ish. It was way behind the times even then. Ive since spoken to people whove been recently and according to them, it hasnt changed at all. Shame its closing, but unsurprising given the apparent refusal to move with the times and reliance on trading on a once good reputation

The development will be to 30 new apartments, and 8 detached houses according to the plans. I for one am very interested, and will be seriously considering one of the houses.

Yet it's right at the top of a hill- so not very accessible if/when there's snow/ice.

And even in good weather it's not very accessible. The only routes are:

a. via Cavendish Road or Chelsea Road; or

b. via the suicidal junction with Psalter Lane.

Yet it's right at the top of a hill- so not very accessible if/when there's snow/ice.

And even in good weather it's not very accessible. The only routes are:

a. via Cavendish Road or Chelsea Road; or

b. via the suicidal junction with Psalter Lane.

Interesting point that I hadn't thought of! Thank you for that, I appreciate it.

Didn't pick up on a few points on the last new build I bought from plan, so good to be aware of all possible issues. :)

There is a proposed 'barrier for emergency access' from Brincliffe Hill, only , on the outline plans they've got permission for ...however.... i expect that to go 'out the window' come the application to build. There is no footpath and Brincliffe Hill via Baldwins car park , is used a lot as a 'rat run' currently to & from Chelsea Road.

Suicide junction just about covers it as there is poor visibility from town direction down Psalter Lane.

This probably needs a new topic but happy to report that the Omega lives on at the Abbeydale Sports Club   https://wp.me/p5wFIX-16U 

Actually breathing during the bingo Andy1976?  That's a cardinal sin, for sure!   In the  mid-'70's,  I was once chucked out of the St Philips WMC, during the Bingo.  I'd made no noise at all - but I was wearing a "loud"  top!

😀

18 hours ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

Actually breathing during the bingo Andy1976?  That's a cardinal sin, for sure!   In the  mid-'70's,  I was once chucked out of the St Philips WMC, during the Bingo.  I'd made no noise at all - but I was wearing a "loud"  top!

😀

I was fed up with hearing things like, "O`y,  you can't sit there. That's old Jacks seat, he's been sat there for the last 50 years.

Edited by spilldig