End of an era at Baldwins Omega

I think that's a very accurate summary!

When the current 55-75 age group at the WMCs inevitably die, I can't see them surviving (the WMC's). Cheap beer is only good if it's cheap and in a nice environment where you don't get yelled at for breathing during the bingo.

rubbish! it is not unpopular at all it just that the place i too big to be viable without "company works dos" which in the economic climate since 2008 have dwindled, there are not many companies now that can afford to take 200 odd staff out for a night out at about 30-40 quid a head, in the old days it was booked solid for xmas do,s from early october.

yes i worked for david in my early years from when he took the Omega on and owe him a great deal, i wish David and pauline all the best in their retirement and i dont blame them for getting the planning on there , far better than trying to sell it as it could never be the same .

rubbish! it is not unpopular at all it just that the place i too big to be viable without "company works dos" which in the economic climate since 2008 have dwindled, there are not many companies now that can afford to take 200 odd staff out for a night out at about 30-40 quid a head, in the old days it was booked solid for xmas do,s from early october.

yes i worked for david in my early years from when he took the Omega on and owe him a great deal, i wish David and pauline all the best in their retirement and i dont blame them for getting the planning on there , far better than trying to sell it as it could never be the same .

Can't agree there.

From the interview released yesterday with Mrs B herself...

"While lunches do well, as do weekend events, trade dips in the week. That has been the tipping point. Pauline said: “It’s not just about money, it’s a change in social attitudes. You don’t have all-male dinners any more. There are more women in the workplace and men can’t stay out drinking. They can’t use the excuse of going out when they have to look after the children.”

(Src https://dawesindoors.wordpress.com/2017/02/21/this-time-its-true-mr-b-bows-out/)

So, it's nothing to do with Christmas parties, as they say, weekends do well.

Company works do's have definitely not dwindled, I can assure you. £40 is nothing for a company christmas party these days, and most pay far more. Every big venue, including Baldwins, is busy at Christmas.

It's great you have such a loyalty to them, but they are absolutely outdated, particularly in their "men only evenings" attitude! The comment "there are more women in the workplace"? If that doesn't show an outdated attitude, I don't know what does.

I lived in Sheffield 30 years and never heard of the place.

Disappointing ranking on Tripadvisor too, just 147 reviews. Anyone would think from that its only been open a few months:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186364-d2338612-Reviews-Baldwin_s_Omega-Sheffield_South_Yorkshire_England.html

Edited by alchresearch

First time I went past it many many years ago, I saw the sign and thought it was some kind of massage parlour for the well healed of S11 :hihi:

Well it's funny you should say that after some of the parties I went to there!! :hihi:

I lived in Sheffield 30 years and never heard of the place.

Disappointing ranking on Tripadvisor too, just 147 reviews. Anyone would think from that its only been open a few months:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186364-d2338612-Reviews-Baldwin_s_Omega-Sheffield_South_Yorkshire_England.html

I would suspect that their typical clientele aren't too much in to online tools.

I went there a few years ago and thought it was a bit outdated then. It was like eating an average 3 course meal in a working men's club environment. I am surprised that it lasted as long as it did.

cant say i have ever been to baldwins omega....always sounded like a massage parlour!

hard to survive when there are so many cheap nosheries nearby.

We went about 4 years ago, nothing special, overpriced drink, mediocre luke warm food, reminded me of a chicken in a basket venue from the 70's ... thuggish doormen who said that only taxis ordered by them would be allowed down the drive. Far better establishments exist in Sheffield so no loss really

Never been there but looking at pictures online it looks rather stuffy and dated so food would have to be spectacular to tempt.

First time I went past it many many years ago, I saw the sign and thought it was some kind of massage parlour for the well healed of S11

Successfully-treated patients?