Thigh cramp : what to do?

Try eating a Banana or two. Tennis players eat these to stave off cramps during matches.

The cramps the OP describes are a thousand times worse than anything a tennis player might get.

You literally feel as if you are being pulled apart.

Bananas and such like will not stop them.

The anti malarial tablets are the only way. (quinine sulphate)

I used to get regular terrible calf cramps in the middle of the night. I recognise how you describe the pain. I was often left limping for 3 or 4 days.

When they were actually happening it felt like a piece of metal had split my muscle open. Bending or straightening the leg often made it worse. I often got up and tried to walk about. Usually with my hand in my mouth because I didn't want to yell out and wake people up.

Anyhow I found out that it was related to Chinese takeaways. I don't eat them any longer and I don't get them any more.

I used to get regular terrible calf cramps in the middle of the night. I recognise how you describe the pain. I was often left limping for 3 or 4 days.

When they were actually happening it felt like a piece of metal had split my muscle open. Bending or straightening the leg often made it worse. I often got up and tried to walk about. Usually with my hand in my mouth because I didn't want to yell out and wake people up.

Anyhow I found out that it was related to Chinese takeaways. I don't eat them any longer and I don't get them any more.

I feel your pain...literally!

And yes, you're right - the 'residual' pain can last for days. My thigh's aching as I write, and is very tender. I suspect I'm not far away from another bout...which, of course, is a dread in itself.

Don't eat Chinese stuff myself, but intriguing nonetheless....

Monosodium Glutamate, in the Chinese food can upset your homeostasis. You need to drink more because of the salt content. I had a period of regular cramps and started taking a glass of water to bed with me and having 1 or 2 glasses first thing in the morning. The seem to have tailed of and I have not had one for months.

See your GP, quinine sulphate 200 mg is quite effective. MV

I was prescribe them for leg cramps and soon stopped taking them as I had several known adverse reactions that are listed. I believe the FDA in the USA have banned their use because of the same reasons. The also make everything you eat taste bitter.

https://www.gov.uk/drug-safety-update/quinine-not-to-be-used-routinely-for-nocturnal-leg-cramps

BTW I no longer get them since I bought an exercise bike and only do as little as 1km in the morning and 1km at night.

Edited by apelike

Monosodium Glutamate, in the Chinese food can upset your homeostasis.

Really? I'll bet you cant find a single double blind study that confirms that.

---------- Post added 23-02-2017 at 21:09 ----------

But only if the OP is Magnesium deficient. Too much Magnesium can be dangerous.

The OP should see his GP as regular cramp can be a symptom of other treatable conditions.

I'll bet you are really glad of that nursing degree and ongoing qualifications now. ITs amazing reading this thread youd think we never needed health professionals because everyones an expert...

Really? I'll bet you cant find a single double blind study that confirms that.

---------- Post added 23-02-2017 at 21:09 ----------

I'll bet you are really glad of that nursing degree and ongoing qualifications now. ITs amazing reading this thread youd think we never needed health professionals because everyones an expert...

If you have ever had the cramps that the OP, myself, and many other people have had, you would be glad of the doctors to prescribe the medicine.

They are really agony, really bad.

How do you know I havent and wheres that apology you owe me me old mucker?

How do you know I havent and wheres that apology you owe me me old mucker?

What do you want an apology for this time?

Have you trodden on my foot or something?

Eat magnesium rich foods and avoid ingesting too much Camelia sinensis infused water as it can block magnesium uptake.

Sorry for your experience with the thigh cramps.

I get the cramps in my calves, absolutely searing. My mum got them as well, she told me to flex my foot up so my toes are pointing at my chin or thereabouts. That stops it every time for me.

Wish there as a position like that worked for your thigh cramps too. When you find what does work, will you let us know?

Sorry for your experience with the thigh cramps.

I get the cramps in my calves, absolutely searing. My mum got them as well, she told me to flex my foot up so my toes are pointing at my chin or thereabouts. That stops it every time for me.

Wish there as a position like that worked for your thigh cramps too. When you find what does work, will you let us know?

I used to suffer the same when in my teens, but I was (then) told it was due to lack of salt after playing football or running. Yes, your mum's advice was, and is, spot on, but believe me - the pain you get in the thigh is very, very much worse!