Can you be clamped/fined for expired MOT?

If I fail my MOT and can't get the work done until a couple of weeks later, can the car still be on the road waiting outside the garage until the repairs are done?

If I read this correctly, the car will be parked outside the garage until the repairs are carried out so he, hopefully, won't be driving it.

Extremely unlikely he'll be prosecuted for no MOT as the garage would know it's waiting for repair.

Not clear why it takes so long to for repairs unless waiting for a special part.

If I read this correctly, the car will be parked outside the garage until the repairs are carried out so he, hopefully, won't be driving it.

The police have told me that they have to catch you driving in order for them to fine you; I think its a lame excuse.

Failing an MoT test doesnt necessarily mean its unroadworty though

Isn't that the precise point of the MOT?

---------- Post added 22-02-2017 at 11:33 ----------

That could be the case, but it only matters if someone is watching the cameras and there are police cars available.

If the police clamp down, they catch hundreds that are not insured.

They key thing about ANPR is the A.

It's Automatic.

---------- Post added 22-02-2017 at 11:34 ----------

The police have told me that they have to catch you driving in order for them to fine you; I think its a lame excuse.

For it to be driven whilst unworthy for the road, driving is the key thing.

It's different to requiring tax and insurance at all times when on the road (moving or stationary). (Although you can't renew the tax without a valid MOT).

Isn't that the precise point of the MOT?

No. The testable nature of a component is not necessarily that of roadworthyness.

If a car has for example a worn bush it's still roadworthy even though an MOT fail. If there is corrosion on a rear seatbelt mount, it's perfectly fine for just front seat passengers to use. An MOT test will look for components that have failed and are likely to fail before the next test is due, so things can be roadworthy now but still fail an MOT.

My local MOT guy was quite accomodating - he knows that if I presented a car that had say worn bushes those bushes would be soon fixed. Same with brake lines that wouldnt normally be passed - if he has a car that obviously gets serviced once a year after the MOT fail he is hard on all details. If theres a car with a questionalbe brake line and the car is full of tools, and there is evidence if problems being repaired all the time, then they are much more likley to advise of the brake line and let you fix it yourself.

For it to be driven whilst unworthy for the road, driving is the key thing.

It's different to requiring tax and insurance at all times when on the road (moving or stationary). (Although you can't renew the tax without a valid MOT).

Well its like parking on the pavement, there is a good chance it was either driven there and it will be driven later, it wasn't place there with a crane.

The problem here is the government makes rules and regulations without engaging their brains, and create so many grey areas that even the most honest of motorists can fall foul of the law.If a car has either no tax or no insurance it has to be Sorned, and it must not be used or parked on the road.However if it has no m.o.t it does not have to be sorned,it may be parked on the road,but it should not be driven on the road.There is a fine for driving a car without an m.o.t, but the offence does not carry any penalty points.It is often said that a car without m.o.t automatically becomes uninsured but I have seen so many arguments about this I really don't know if this is correct,if it was I would assume that if you were caught driving with no m.o.t you would also be prosecuted for driving uninsured,but you are not.Finally the government has made things dafter by not checking that a car is insured when tax is applied for,only m.o.t is checked,this silly rule came in just before the tax disc was abolished.

The DVLA website clearly states that you can be fined if you drive a car without a valid MOT.

You are exempt if you are taking it to a garage for repair or a pre-arranged MOT test.

It states nothing about a car parked on a public highway.

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot

The DVLA website clearly states that you can be fined if you drive a car without a valid MOT.

You are exempt if you are taking it to a garage for repair or a pre-arranged MOT test.

It states nothing about a car parked on a public highway.

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot

When they have a clamp down on illegal cars, the police do not get those parked up, every time they have a clamp down they can get hundreds.

The problem here is the government makes rules and regulations without engaging their brains, and create so many grey areas that even the most honest of motorists can fall foul of the law.If a car has either no tax or no insurance it has to be Sorned, and it must not be used or parked on the road.However if it has no m.o.t it does not have to be sorned,it may be parked on the road,but it should not be driven on the road.There is a fine for driving a car without an m.o.t, but the offence does not carry any penalty points.It is often said that a car without m.o.t automatically becomes uninsured but I have seen so many arguments about this I really don't know if this is correct,if it was I would assume that if you were caught driving with no m.o.t you would also be prosecuted for driving uninsured,but you are not.Finally the government has made things dafter by not checking that a car is insured when tax is applied for,only m.o.t is checked,this silly rule came in just before the tax disc was abolished.

You do need valid insurance when applying for vehicle tax and it is checked.

You are insured if you have paid your policy and the insurer is specifically prohibited from not honouring insurance if the MOT or tax expires - see the road traffic act.

Well its like parking on the pavement, there is a good chance it was either driven there and it will be driven later, it wasn't place there with a crane.

Did you even read the OP. It's to be left parked outside the garage after failing the MOT. So even in your nit picking world, it won't have been driven on the road whilst unroadworthy will it. :huh:

---------- Post added 22-02-2017 at 12:50 ----------

When they have a clamp down on illegal cars, the police do not get those parked up, every time they have a clamp down they can get hundreds.

What do you mean by "illegal"?

They can and do get cars without tax, insurance is now an automatic fine if you don't sorn it within 2 weeks of the tax expiring and you can't retax a car without a current valid MOT or exemption.

---------- Post added 22-02-2017 at 12:51 ----------

Finally the government has made things dafter by not checking that a car is insured when tax is applied for,only m.o.t is checked,this silly rule came in just before the tax disc was abolished.

As Obelix already said, this is wrong, it's checked electronically now.

If I fail my MOT and can't get the work done until a couple of weeks later, can the car still be on the road waiting outside the garage until the repairs are done?

Also, can DVLA send a fine due to the MOT expiring?

Yes, I saw it happen only late last year approx 20 yards from my house on the main street in crookes. Van pulled up, guy got out and clamped the car. A man came along and they had a chat. Thats All I saw as I passed to and from the shops. The car was still there, clamped a few days later.

If its on the road is it still taxed and does it have insurance even though you aren't driving it?

Either way it might be better to park it somewhere off the highway till you are able to drive it to that prearranged MOT or repairs.

I've done that with mine before.

Even a SORN car needs insurance theses days. Mine is SORN, MOT expired but is still insured even though its off the road (renewed it yesterday)

Ill drive it for its MOT in spring and any repairs then take it off SORN and tax it again