Private eye clinic Hallam Hospital

A few years ago I thought about having laser eye surgery to correct my eyes. I was told that an eye surgeon had an private eye clinic based at Hallam Hospital I don't know the guys name only visited it once only spoke to a lady their is this still open and has anyone had it done their were you happy with the service you received?

i had a consultation there a few months ago, not the cheapest but when your messing about with your eyes the cost shouldn't come into it.

you actually get to see and have a consultation with the surgeon who gives you his honest opinion and any possible problems related to the procedure,

i had had a consultation with an high street company but its all about sales and commision for them and you dont get to see the surgeon until you've handed over the money.

i was looking and lense replacement and have put it on hold for a few more years on the advice i got from sheffield vision centre.

i had a consultation there a few months ago, not the cheapest but when your messing about with your eyes the cost shouldn't come into it.

you actually get to see and have a consultation with the surgeon who gives you his honest opinion and any possible problems related to the procedure,

i had had a consultation with an high street company but its all about sales and commision for them and you dont get to see the surgeon until you've handed over the money.

i was looking and lense replacement and have put it on hold for a few more years on the advice i got from sheffield vision centre.

If I decide to go ahead I would pick Sheffield Vision Centre I tried the High street brands and to be honest was not that impressed one in fact started barting on price so I'm guessing I would end up with an poor service.

---------- Post added 20-02-2017 at 09:56 ----------

I think this is the one. I've used them for glasses (very good), but not for the surgery.

http://www.sheffieldvisioncentre.co.uk/

Thank you that's the one .

I've had surgery through these people. Not cheap but very good. No frills, but you're in safe hands. My results (refractive lens replacement surgery) were very good.

I had my eyes lasered there over 2 years ago and have nothing but praise for them. They are both called Matthew the surgeons and are highly regarded in their field, plus any excess they make from the clinic is put back into the NHS eye clinic at the Hallamshire.

I have a lazy eye, which none of the 'high street' laser clinics would touch, nor would they laser my good eye for fear of damaging that, and rendering me therefore virtually blind. Had both done at the Sheffield Vision centre and the results are brilliant, it's transformed my life.

You have not said what the problem is with your eyes but the everyday eye clinic at the Hallamshire is absolutely first class.You don't need an appointment,just go,give them your details,and wait.I have had to go on a few occasions, and twice I had holes in the back of my eye lasered on the same day, and on the other occasions a thorough check because the eye was found to be bleeding and causing sight loss.This service is of course free.

Ivan, I couldn't agree more about the eye services at the Hallamshire.

There is an ophthalmology department which requires a referral from your GP and an appointment (as far as I know), and is free. See http://www.sth.nhs.uk/services/a-z-of-services?id=61

There is an emergency eye clinic which does not require an appointment or a referral and is free. (I think this might be what you are referring to.) See the same page, but scroll down to see "Emergency Eye Clinic". Open from 8:30am – 4:30pm - Monday to Friday

And there is the paid-for vision centre, which does glasses and elective laser surgery, which is what I think the OP is asking about. http://www.sheffieldvisioncentre.co.uk/

Sadly, I have had to use all three. Happily, I have been generally impressed.

Edited by Dozer
clarity

You can now get a referral from an optician for the NHS ophthalmic service. They will refer you if they think you might benefit from seeing someone there. This saves both your and the GP time for other things.

I would not recommend the Sheffield Vision Centre unfortunately. I had laser eye surgery there 3 years ago and it's genuinely the worst decision I have ever made. My eyes are painful most of the time due to dry eyes. Absolute madness that these surgeries are offered at an NHS hospital. I know I'm not alone either, saw a young girl sobbing uncontrabley in their reception about her eyes last time I went in.

Unfortunately Dry eye syndrome is suffered by many people even when they have not had surgery. I have had the problem for several years and use eye drops to counter it. I have found it best to use the ones without preservative, which you can get from Morrisons or Asda maybe other supermarkets too as well as local pharmacies. I had a ptosis Op. on one eye last year and found the problem recurred. When I have used the drops for several weeks for three or four times daily I find the problem resolves itself. unfortunately it recurrs if I am ill, or if I am out in the wind, so I have drops available most of the time. The drops come in .1% and .3% so Note what you pick up and which is effective for you. I find the ones with preservative in irritate my eyes.

I hope this helps.