New 20 mph speed limits

before you get too excited that report was debunked back in May.

Its since been raised in the local press, then the nationals got hold of it without checking the dodgy use of stats behind it all.

Keep in mind when dealing with very small numbers incidents like the 4 people killed by the Bath tipper crash (corporate manslaughter) can sway the stats.

http://www.20splenty.org/freddie_star

https://medium.com/@lewisspurgin/20mph-zones-are-not-causing-more-deaths-37d41e30e297

In April 2017 the new council administration in Bath and North East Somerset (that had opposed 20mph limits when in opposition) produced an analysis of results of speeds and casualties after implementing 20mph limits. The data in the report showed that:-

Crashes in the 20mph limits had reduced by 28% in Bath.

Casualties in the 20mph limits had reduced by 23% in Bath.

The number roads with average speeds at or above 24mph had reduced by 43% when 20mph was implemented.

The number of roads with average speeds at or above 26mph had reduced by 78% when 20mph was implemented.

Now you may feel that these would have been worth mentioning as a finding in the report but they were excluded. Instead the report found that by looking at areas in detail they could compare the number of areas where casualties and crashes had increased or decreased without weighting or taking any note of the significance of a number. And from this they concluded that more areas had increased casualties than reduced them. This is completely bogus statistically

Sorry but that is just rubbish, i drive through a 20mph zone everyday which is down a very steep hill where even using second gear (with no throttle use)to keep the speed down won't keep you under 20mph, do i struggle...No i don't.

If you are struggling to keep under 20mph while using the throttle it is because you are in the wrong gear, try changing down one, you will find it much easier.

Try staying in second gear for 20mph then? Honestly it's really not very hard.

Tell you what... Why don't we all just get out and walk!!!!

It does mention in the report that the significant increases were in more rural areas - which again proves a point in a way.

20mph zones near schools etc are beneficial, any route through Bath is brutal with traffic having the equivalent of a country lane through the middle of it anything above 30mph would be dangerous.

But the area surrounding it has no need for it.

I applaud the intention as some nutters use these roads as speedways. I too was confused by the map that was sent round, but figured out the bits they plan to restrict to 20.

I am of the opinion that signage will be ignored and is ugly to look at. Speed bumps they say are too expensive, but they're happy to pay for the trees to come down - much more beautiful.

does the council really think this will slow speeders down??

To be fair "staying in gear" isn't always that simple in an automatic.

I can manually shift mine into 2nd, but it will go back to D if I don't change gear within some time, and I doubt it would stay in 2nd at 20.

Also staying in 2nd would mean that a twitch of the foot could have me heading towards 50 very rapidly. Safer in a high gear at tickover surely.

Er, I do. Maybe you're just a crap driver.

The problem with motorists is the attitude that its alright to break the speed limit because, -

Its me,

I don't agree with the limit posted here,

It's Ok because I drive a better engineered, better maintained, safer car,

I'm allowed some margin for error,

Everybody does it,

I think I can get away with it,

Its a race and I have to win,

I can't stand to be overtaken by anybody else because it makes me feel inferior.

Face it, you can't stick to the limit because you're a crap driver.

To quote "Safer in a high gear at tickover surely"!? I really think you need to read up on how to control a car via the gears and/or go on a driving course.

Fogey, I think your final sentence sums it up completely :thumbsup: However, you did miss an item out of your list - 'my car doesn't run at under 35 when it is in top gear' :huh:

does the council really think this will slow speeders down??

The evidence points to the fact that this type of 20mph zone (ie just signs) has minimal effects on actual speeds. The Council are well aware of this.

The evidence points to the fact that this type of 20mph zone (ie just signs) has minimal effects on actual speeds. The Council are well aware of this.

which is why West Midlands Police enforce them

https://trafficwmp.wordpress.com/2017/06/20/phones-belts-and-20s/

The self-enforcing 20mph limit is a myth, take it from experienced traffic officers who regularly pursue vehicles over and around all manner of traffic calming measures at speeds in excess of 60mph, there is no such thing. So when some state 20mph limits shouldn’t be enforced, they are in effect “voluntary” we sit here with a quite quizzical look upon our faces. You see no other speed limits have to be self -enforcing, when we drop limits in rural areas, say villages or particularly hazardous country roads, we enforce to ensure compliance, “Smart” motorways with their variable limits have galleries of enforcing cameras. We know 20mph limits are evidently the most important speed limit to our communities, and have the largest potential of any limit to positively effect lifestyle choices and reduce the amount of people killed or seriously injured on our roads, so why not enforce them ?

Well in the West Midlands we will, rigorously.

To quote "Safer in a high gear at tickover surely"!? I really think you need to read up on how to control a car via the gears and/or go on a driving course.

Well, do go ahead and explain how it's safer in 2nd gear at say 3000 rpm, instead of 4th at 1000.

Perhaps you can then explain it to my automatic gearbox as well... I'll look forwards to this.

---------- Post added 19-12-2017 at 16:55 ----------

which is why West Midlands Police enforce them

Well in the West Midlands we will, rigorously.[/i]

Of course they will.

The invisible traffic police, who've all disappeared will be out enforcing them... :thumbsup:

Well, do go ahead and explain how it's safer in 2nd gear at say 3000 rpm, instead of 4th at 1000.

Perhaps you can then explain it to my automatic gearbox as well... I'll look forwards to this.

---------- Post added 19-12-2017 at 16:55 ----------

Of course they will.

The invisible traffic police, who've all disappeared will be out enforcing them... :thumbsup:

Go on a driving course and they will explain the why's and wherefore's of being in the correct gear for the traffic conditions in order that you are in control of your car rather than your car being in control. This is especially so when descending down hill where engine braking is a great benefit to retaining control of your car. As for your automatic, I am unable to comment on the peculiarities seemingly inherent in your gearbox, perhaps you need to take it to your tame mechanic.

http://www.unclutchables.com.au/2015/01/12/automatic-transmission-engine-braking-downshift/

we have had 20 mph zones in Stockbridge for about three years no one sticks to it ,no one monitors it and there have been no prosecutions complete waste of time.

we have had 20 mph zones in Stockbridge for about three years no one sticks to it ,no one monitors it and there have been no prosecutions complete waste of time.

53% of cars break the 30mph speed limit so are any limits a waste of time?

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/vehicle-speed-compliance-statistics-for-great-britain-2016