New 20 mph speed limits

Stupid! No-one and l mean No-one does 20mph in a 20mph zone it is almost impossible not to creep above 20 in a normal car under normal conditions. Someone will get knocked over by someone paying more attention to their speedometer than the road. Stupid Stupid Stupid!

Sorry but that is just rubbish, i drive through a 20mph zone everyday which is down a very steep hill where even using second gear (with no throttle use)to keep the speed down won't keep you under 20mph, do i struggle...No i don't.

If you are struggling to keep under 20mph while using the throttle it is because you are in the wrong gear, try changing down one, you will find it much easier.

Bloomin good point jud.. I dare"nt get out of 3rd gear, plus the fact I'm watching my speedo all the time. (just been copped for doing 34mph in a 30zone)

Try staying in second gear for 20mph then? Honestly it's really not very hard.

Try staying in second gear for 20mph then? Honestly it's really not very hard.

Have to agree with this. People saying they can't keep a car below 20mph need to retake their test or learn how to use a car.

I completely agree with spending more time watching the speedo than the road sometimes though. I wish HUDs were retrofitted to all cars to display your current speed where you can see the road at the same time :)

To be fair "staying in gear" isn't always that simple in an automatic.

I can manually shift mine into 2nd, but it will go back to D if I don't change gear within some time, and I doubt it would stay in 2nd at 20.

Also staying in 2nd would mean that a twitch of the foot could have me heading towards 50 very rapidly. Safer in a high gear at tickover surely.

Stupid! No-one and l mean No-one does 20mph in a 20mph zone it is almost impossible not to creep above 20 in a normal car under normal conditions. Someone will get knocked over by someone paying more attention to their speedometer than the road. Stupid Stupid Stupid!

Er, I do. Maybe you're just a crap driver.

The problem with motorists is the attitude that its alright to break the speed limit because, -

Its me,

I don't agree with the limit posted here,

It's Ok because I drive a better engineered, better maintained, safer car,

I'm allowed some margin for error,

Everybody does it,

I think I can get away with it,

Its a race and I have to win,

I can't stand to be overtaken by anybody else because it makes me feel inferior.

Face it, you can't stick to the limit because you're a crap driver.

Edited by Fogey

(just been copped for doing 34mph in a 30zone)

Were you actually prosecuted/sent on a speed awareness course for 34?

I thought the normal ACPO recommended threshold of prosecution began at 10% + 2mph,

i.e. from 35 upwards.

I thought the normal ACPO recommended threshold of prosecution began at 10% + 2mph,

i.e. from 35 upwards.

Speed awareness course..the instructor did explain to us, that 30mph means exactly that.. not 30ish.

Speed awareness course..the instructor did explain to us, that 30mph means exactly that.. not 30ish.

Fully understand that comment, and I don't claim any moral high ground having had points in the past.

Whilst I'm not doubting your word at all, do you still have a copy or the original NIP showing 34?

The reason I ask, is that a well respected internet group (Pepipoo) claims never to have seen a NIP for less than 35 in a 30.

A copy of your NIP, suitably redacted of personal information, would help to inform them, so any advice they offer is more accurate.

It is a responsible, well moderated group, with many posters being legal professionals, including serving and retired police officers and even a couple of speed camera operators.

Edited by peak4

Fully understand that comment, and I don't claim any moral high ground having had points in the past.

Whilst I'm not doubting your word at all, do you still have a copy or the original NIP showing 34?

The reason I ask, is that a well respected internet group (Pepipoo) claims never to have seen a NIP for less than 35 in a 30.

A copy or your NIP, suitably redacted of personal information, would help to inform them, so any advice they offer is more accurate.

It is a responsible, well moderated group, with many posters being legal professionals, including serving and retired police officers and even a couple of speed camera operators.

Your probably right peaky. quite a few posters have said the same thing. Iv"e done enough ranting and raving though so I"ll let it drop....

I"ve served my punishment GRR.:hihi:

i.e. from 35 upwards.

That’s what I’ve heard too, but (highlighted in bold) it is only a recommendation, and not law.

Technically, if you're caught driving at 31mph in a 30 zone, you’re breaking the limit.

Well apparently from a road safety perspective they don't appear to be working elsewhere.

https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/800000-20mph-zones-saw-rise-road-fatalities-council-admits-150048770.html

Now that's pretty interesting isn't it. And matches up with what a lot of people thought about spending more time concentrating on speed than looking where we're going.