New 20 mph speed limits

The main roads are not included, it's only the side roads. No speed bumps thank goodness. Just signage, and probably no enforcement either.

Greenhill parkway is a 40 zone .

Not if you're traveling the other way. The sign posts one says 30 and on the other side of the sign it says 40.

Greenhill parkway is a 30/40mph zone

Lowedges is a 20 zone and most ppl ignore it I've seen drivers speed pass police cars and get ignored

Lowedges is a 20 zone and most ppl ignore it I've seen drivers speed pass police cars and get ignored

Yeah lol I see this too. To many times to be honest, a lot of people have been seriously hurt on that road especially when crossing behind busses at term and car's speeding down.

So, SCC has finally hung notices on the lampposts in Greenhill. Instead of the graphics they - wisely! - used the list of street names that will be affected in alphabetic order. To conclude: Chesterfield Road South and Greenhill Parkway are not affected! False panic, commuters can relax now! :-)

I applaud the intention as some nutters use these roads as speedways. I too was confused by the map that was sent round, but figured out the bits they plan to restrict to 20.

I am of the opinion that signage will be ignored and is ugly to look at. Speed bumps they say are too expensive, but they're happy to pay for the trees to come down - much more beautiful.

But speed bumps also cause a lot of misery for people with bad backs and other injuries.

The signage will come from Central Government Funding. I hope it will be the electronic smiley frowney face powered by solar.

I see West Midlands Traffic Police are on the case again

https://trafficwmp.wordpress.com/2017/02/10/driving-an-extinction-event/

Many will say that no one drives to Birmingham’s new 20mph limits, this is true many don’t, but they will.

Despite a highly publicised campaign of educational measures including roadside educational alternatives to prosecution we get numerous complaints and too often see the effects of drivers exceeding the limit. So “Out goes the carrot and in comes the stick”, after nearly 6 months of the limits it’s apparent that many drivers just don’t care or are incapable of driving to the new limit, just like they can’t drive to most limits, including the old 30mph limits.

Again we come back to the previously stated situation where drivers proved themselves incapable collectively of driving at 30mph or below, you had your chance now 20mph limits are deemed necessary to protect our communities from drivers who don’t meet the standard of “safe and competent road users”.

We need somewhere in the region of one in four compliance for the limits to be effective given urban traffic levels, the one in four slow everyone else down and produce safer roads.

We will achieve this through enforcement, we will even use covert speed checks if necessary in the most vulnerable of locations, the loss of life on our regions roads is unacceptable to our communities, some drivers may be dismayed and distraught at the idea of us getting all “sneaky” to catch dangerous drivers, but they had their chance, “the gloves are off” as they say when it comes to the fight against the dangerous motorist in our region.

But remember those who can drive to the required standard, “the law abiding motorist” have nothing to worry about, quite the opposite their journeys should become more pleasant as a result

But speed bumps also cause a lot of misery for people with bad backs and other injuries.

If they will be like the ones around "The Circle" in S2 next PoW roundabout, then i'm seriously worried for my shock absorbers and suspension! :mad:

We have 20mph & speedbumps....does nothing...

Nice little cut through for people who can't get up in time for work or to run their secondry school kids to school....