New 20 mph speed limits

Just returned home and discovered a leaflet from Sheffield City Council in my letterbox proposing to introduce a new 20 mph speed limit in Meadowhead and Greenhill in autumn 2017.

I live in Greenhill myself and whereas I'm fully supportive to reduce the speed limit in the residential areas, I think that changing from 40 to 20 is a bit too much, especially for those who commute from the south.

Seems that commuters from Chesterfield, Dronfield and surrondings who travel into the town centre using Greenhill Parkway and A61 should be prepared to get to work even slower.

Btw, formal objections can still be posted to Transport, Traffic and Parking services by 17 March. Though I've not been able to track down the proposed changes on SCC website (as usual), so people who do not live there but pass by every morning will not even know about it until the new speed limit is introduced!

There are plans of existing and proposed 20 mph zones here: 20 mph zones

The specific areas you mentioned aren't on there but it does say that the proposals are for reducing from 30 mph to 20 mph only.

If it's anything like the Stannington one the main roads aren't included so your concern for the commuters is unlikely to be warranted.

The specific areas you mentioned aren't on there but it does say that the proposals are for reducing from 30 mph to 20 mph only.

If it's anything like the Stannington one the main roads aren't included so your concern for the commuters is unlikely to be warranted.

Greenhill parkway is a 40 zone and it's highlighted in dark blue as well as Meadowhead from the roundabout and up to I think Morrisons. Would be strange to encircle the roads that will not be subjected to a speed limit change, woudn't it?

They say Reney road in greenhill would be a part-time speed limit because of the school and it's also highlighted in dark blue... I do really hope it won't affect parkway and A61!..

I looked at the Whirlow one and could see Ecclesall Road (an A road) highlighted in red. There is then a dark blue line around the map, and the proposed 20mph zone is INSIDE this blue line. This shows only 'local' roads (residential streets), not the actual main roads.

I would expect Greenhill/Meadowhead to be the same. Chesterfield Road (and C.R. South) are also an A Road so I highly doubt this will be 20mph. I would also highly doubt Greenhill Parkway (a B road) would be reduced to 20mph given these are currently 40, there are no houses or footpaths particularly nearby (not right at the side of the road). However roads such as Reney Road, Reney Avenue, Greenfield Road, School Lane etc probably will be reduced (with the exception of Reney Road, there's usually that many parked cars you can't usually get above 20mph anyway)! Same as when they reduced Lowedges - with the exception of Lowedges Road you can't get above 20 anyway.

Details of the proposals woud be helpful to avoid further speculation, and assist informed comment. An ideal subject for the council website.

Details of the proposals woud be helpful to avoid further speculation, and assist informed comment. An ideal subject for the council website.

See the post above by Max - it has a link to the proposals on the council website.

See the post above by Max - it has a link to the proposals on the council website.

But the latest proposals are not on the site, as Max said, "The specific areas you mentioned aren't on there but it does say that the proposals are for reducing from 30 mph to 20 mph only. "

What does it matter? Unless there is a camera, average or fixed, and or speed humps nobody does 20 anyway.

There are plans of existing and proposed 20 mph zones here: 20 mph zones

Virtually no one anywhere in Stannington adheres to the 20mph limit that I can see.

what a load of rubbish got it at lowedges ,wont work,doesnt work and will never work

as it cannot be checked in any way as it would be to costly,its been implemented on lowedges road and even the buses don't keep to it ,but know doubt SCC will say what a great idea and we will spend thousands implementing some thing that's = to a chocolate fireguard.

Wonder how long before you will need a man waving a red flag to walk along in front of your car :huh:

Wearing a gas mask of course due to exhaust pollution :loopy:

Virtually no one anywhere in Stannington adheres to the 20mph limit that I can see.

Most of the people I observe in my rear view mirror keep to the 20 mph.