INEOS shale gas to come to Mosborough S20?

INEOS

Are not interested in fuelling anyone's cars.

They are a massive chemical production company that use natural gases in their production of plastics.

Currently, Grangemouth is operating under-capacity and staving off closure by importing fracked ethane from the USA.

Any gas from UK fracking would go to Grangemouth as well. Ultimately to replace imports.

Fracking does have known pollution risks. The question is "How much do you trust INEOS and UK Enforcement to remove those risks?"

INEOS

Are not interested in fuelling anyone's cars.

They are a massive chemical production company that use natural gases in their production of plastics.

Currently, Grangemouth is operating under-capacity and staving off closure by importing fracked ethane from the USA.

Any gas from UK fracking would go to Grangemouth as well. Ultimately to replace imports.

Fracking does have known pollution risks. The question is "How much do you trust INEOS and UK Enforcement to remove those risks?"

I don't trust them very much. I'll trust them even less after we burn up all the EU environmental laws. It will be a free for all.

Very dismayed in the response from people who I have made aware of this locally. Very indifferent attitude.

Fracking does have known pollution risks.

So does any power generation.

Do you have any evidence of any UK pollution from its long history of fracking (C. 1945 IIRC)?

So does any power generation.

Do you have any evidence of any UK pollution from its long history of fracking (C. 1945 IIRC)?

Illegal pollution? No.

Do you?

Information is available about Cuadrilla disposing of 2million gallons of treated waste water into the Manchester Ship Canal.

At the time, the waste was all within the required standards.

Standards were since changed to reduce acceptable radioactivity levels which would render that disposal illegal today.

That disposal can be regarded as pollution although Cuadrilla were acting legally at the time.

It is an example of environmental regulations being tightened and there is no reason to expect that they would not be enforced today.

There is evidence of pollution in the US.

I believe that UK regulations have been framed based upon the information gleaned from all available incident reports and recommendations.

[quote=blackydog "I object to potential contaminants in our drinking water. Also it is gas extraction so still a burning fuel with its emmisions."

Don't worry, I don't think the fracking process takes place anywhere close to the water table, it's much deeper.

They drill through the water table then pump in a "protective" concrete casing which can crack and fail to keep the harmful chemicals inside the well and the chemicals leek into the water table and aquafiers, do a search on utube for Fracking its a eye opener or watch the film called GASLAND on youtube.

do a search on utube for Fracking its a eye opener or watch the film called GASLAND on youtube.

many of those videos have been found to be fake, and Gasland has been found to be misleading.

Many of the areas had methane problems long before fracking.

Over in the UK the FOE does the same:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jan/04/friends-of-earth-ticked-off-claims-anti-fracking-leaflet

https://www.ft.com/content/c83ef086-d1c7-11e6-b06b-680c49b4b4c0

This is a good website for balanced facts:

http://frackland.blogspot.co.uk/

Edited by alchresearch

Love the discussion going on here!:bigsmile:

Thanks Blackydog! See you there!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm shocked that so many people compare this process to mining...maybe that's what Ineos are hoping will happen by targeting an ex mining community. Fracking is not mining... Surely we can agree on that?

Certainly. Fracking is a much better alternative than mining ever was.

---------- Post added 22-02-2017 at 15:23 ----------

Illegal pollution? No.

Do you?

Information is available about Cuadrilla disposing of 2million gallons of treated waste water into the Manchester Ship Canal.

At the time, the waste was all within the required standards.

Standards were since changed to reduce acceptable radioactivity levels which would render that disposal illegal today.

That disposal can be regarded as pollution although Cuadrilla were acting legally at the time.

It is an example of environmental regulations being tightened and there is no reason to expect that they would not be enforced today.

There is evidence of pollution in the US.

I believe that UK regulations have been framed based upon the information gleaned from all available incident reports and recommendations.

What were the radiation levels that were permitted for that water then?

Why is the proposed site being classed as Mosborough? If you said it was in the fields behind Marsh Lane - it is - then people might get a better idea of how far away from a built up area it actually is.

65,000 people have lost their jobs in the North Sea oil and gas industry in the last couple of years due to the low oil price.

A bit of work would be welcome.

Just a reminder that the march is tomorrow. If you are anti-fracking then please even if you can only make 10 minutes of the march please come and 'vote with your feet' :thumbsup:

Why is the proposed site being classed as Mosborough? If you said it was in the fields behind Marsh Lane - it is - then people might get a better idea of how far away from a built up area it actually is.

I focussed on Mosborough as the march starts there and it's in Sheffield South Yorkshire so I felt as this is the Sheffield Forum it would be more relevant...

If fracking starts, there will not just be one well, they will all need to connect within a few miles of each other... you can wave goodbye to the beautiful English Countryside(landowners are being approached everywhere at the moment and they have approached ones in Mosborough). Plus the Marsh Lane one is likely to go under Mosborough. Its easier to see examples of this in pictures so maybe join the Moborough against fracking group for a look as I'm not sure how to attach photos on the forum.... or if you don't want to join then try Google for some info. I googled 'Fracking near schools USA' earlier and 'fracking Pennsylvania USA'

Have a good weekend everyone:)