Sheffields meaning of the word Fettling

im 90% sure it was a stage of cleaning cutlery by little misters???my gf comes from scotland and never heard of it cheers

I've never worked in the cutlery industry, but to me, giving a good fettling to something means giving it a good clean

It comes from the steel works,fettlers grind the mould and runner marks off castings,cleaning the shape up.

im 90% sure it was a stage of cleaning cutlery by little misters???my gf comes from scotland and never heard of it cheers

In steel making a Fettler was someone who cleaned cast steel when it was taken from the mould. There was often a whole department devoted to this operation I am sure the term was used in the cutlery trade as well. The steelworks I worked at had a large shop called the Fettling shop adjacent to the foundry. Mind you there were some huge castings made there including Tank turrets

In steel making a Fettler was someone who cleaned cast steel when it was taken from the mould. There was often a whole department devoted to this operation I am sure the term was used in the cutlery trade as well. The steelworks I worked at had a large shop called the Fettling shop adjacent to the foundry. Mind you there were some huge castings made there including Tank turrets

You must have worked at E.S.C,we used to machine them and tank armour at the Cyclops works at Sutherland Road and Carlisle St,there was a fettling dept there,bloody noisy with the air chisels.

Fettling was used in the steel industry it was a process to clean up castings, it then went into general usage " I've got to give the house a good fettle " it was just used as another word for cleaning. It was never used in the cutlery industry.

My uncle was a fettler in the steelworks many years ago now It was the dust from fettling that killed him in the end.:(

My dad was a fettler at newton chambers and it was to do with scrapping the excess bit off the mouldings

At Steel, Peach and Tozer, (the area's biggest steel producer?) they had Rolling Mills, Tire (Tyre) Mills, Strip Mills, a Fettling Shop, and even a Pickling Shop. I remember the smell!

It was taking the spout off, from where they filled the mound also the seems.