Housing Associations

I understand Housing Associations will pay full rent to cover all void periods, and do all the repairs etc between tenants.

---------- Post added 17-02-2017 at 18:59 ----------

The problem is the Housing Benefit.

A Housing Association will only be able to have a rental income while the property is being let. A Housing Association will need to have enough income from the rent that they charge the tenant, to pay your friends' rent (Chief Landlord's rent) and cover the 'management costs'.

Things like covering rent loss during void periods all has to be covered within the management costs. Management costs will also need to cover the cost of the staff to manage the property, and repairs which the HA would be liable for.

The amount of Housing Benefit which can be paid on a social rented property is being squeezed by the Government.

So, the amount of HB will probably not cover the 'chief landlord's rent' and management costs.

Yes, she was prepared to take less in exchange for peace of mind.

But as it happens a regular tenant has been found, who will be paying the full rent. I've taken up references and he seems very nice. I just hope he turns out to be a good tenant without too many hiccups.

Fingers crossed.

Yes, she was prepared to take less in exchange for peace of mind.

But as it happens a regular tenant has been found, who will be paying the full rent. I've taken up references and he seems very nice. I just hope he turns out to be a good tenant without too many hiccups.

Fingers crossed.

Managing a property can be a bit of a minefield. Has she spoken to lettings agents to see how much they would charge. some Lettings agents charge high fees to both the landlord and the tenant..

In terms of HA leasing a property, a few of them in Sheffield did use to. However, I suspect that the unviable finances of these arrangements have put them all of doing it again!

I run a not for profit housing association called "Choice Housing Ltd" http://www.choicehousingltd.org/, and we lease houses from private landlords on 5 or 6 year lease agreements. We have been operating since 2004, and have leased properties in Sheffield since 2010. We sub-let the houses either as general needs family accommodation, or as supported housing for single people (on a room by room basis).

If you would like to send me your contact email address, I can send you further information.

(We raise funds for our supported accommodation through our business services brokerage http://sobuk.co.uk/ so that we don't need to rely on government grants).