LLoyds of London Bans Drinking

If you are paid for 40 hours a week, Monday to Friday and you work 9am to 5pm, you are paid for your lunch breaks.

If you are paid for 38.5 hours a week, Monday to Friday and you work 9-5, you are not paid your lunch breaks. However, your employer can expect you to move your lunch break time around in order to fit in with the daily operation of the business.

Its as simple as that and as most people have a 40 hour working week, they need to check if they are paid for 40 hours or 38.5.

It all depends if you are salaried or hourly paid. I have been paid both ways over 53 years in the workforce, in two countries When hourly paid I would actually put in 42.5 hours per week for 40 hours pay, that includes .5 per day for lunch, and that was consistent from 1961 until my retirement in 2014. When salaried , I would be paid 40 hours for being at work 40 hours or more at times.

I always used to go for a drink at dinner time in the eighties and nineties,made the afternoon more pleasant.It all stopped when our boss stopped us having lunch breaks and made us eat while working.I miss the eighties,back when life was fun.

---------- Post added 17-02-2017 at 14:18 ----------

If you are paid for 40 hours a week, Monday to Friday and you work 9am to 5pm, you are paid for your lunch breaks.

If you are paid for 38.5 hours a week, Monday to Friday and you work 9-5, you are not paid your lunch breaks. However, your employer can expect you to move your lunch break time around in order to fit in with the daily operation of the business.

Its as simple as that and as most people have a 40 hour working week, they need to check if they are paid for 40 hours or 38.5.

Wish i only worked 40 hours a week.My whole working life has been between 48 and 60 hours a week and for a long time with no lunch breaks.I really should have tried harder at school,half a dozen o levels was clearly not enough.

A 40 hour week includes your lunch break and is reason why an employer can ask you or will expect you to reduce the time or move your lunch around the operation of the business.

I've never worked anywhere where the lunch hour was paid, and I've worked at a long list of places.

---------- Post added 18-02-2017 at 11:45 ----------

It's not as simple as that at all. Most people are not paid for lunchtime. If you are contracted for a 40 hr week then you should be working 8 hrs a day, excluding lunch.

I'm paid for my breaks and if I had ANY alcohol during my shift I would be instantly dismissed. Mind you I do drive a lorry :D

I sometimes have a beer in my lunch hour. It's my free time so I don't see a problem.

I don't mind a lunchtime beer if a bunch of us head out to the pub for food. I've also got flexitime, so I can take a two hour lunch if I want.

FWIW my contract states nothing about limitations on what I do in my lunch break, but it does say I shouldn't be drunk at my desk.

Best watch out for that OwethemNowt puritan!