LLoyds of London Bans Drinking

My workmates and I used to do the Broomhill crawl most weekdays at lunchtime.

As long as you're not operating machinery or in the health care profession then i dont see why having the odd pint or glass of wine with your lunch is an issue.. I personally wouldn't dream of drinking during working hours but that's because i wouldnt be any use to anybody after just 1 glass of wine :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38978183

This is almost satire, especially the people complaining about it. Seriously, who thinks it's ok to drink at lunch while you are at work unless you are a wine taster?

Pretty much sums up the culture in investment banking in one article.

Lloyd's isnt investment banking

A lot of business is done over a pint.

It only affects the corporation.

In the old days in the merchant navy, it was unusual to find someone sober. ;)

Those days have gone now I understand, everything is very puritan, as it is shoreside.

There was a bit of a culture of it in HMRC at one point. The "Jolly Boys" would finish for the day at noon on Fridays and head to the pub. It was common for people on other days to bob off for a couple at lunchtime.

I was even on an Employer Compliance visit once and the officer I was with, who was more senior than me, took us to the pub for a couple before going back to the employer and completing the audit.

Totally doesn't happen anymore. HR policy states -

"The consumption of alcohol is inappropriate whilst at work and at any time outside work where:

it could have an adverse impact on your work

your behaviour might be perceived as detrimental to the Department.

In some business areas there is a total ban on the consumption of alcohol during working hours to ensure:

compliance with Health and Safety and other legal requirements

that HMRC staff comply with the appropriate regulations when on the premises of other organisations.

You must observe any such ban."

Paid for their lunch breaks? Salaried workers are normally contracted to x number of hours/week, these hours don't include lunch or any other breaks.

A 40 hour week includes your lunch break and is reason why an employer can ask you or will expect you to reduce the time or move your lunch around the operation of the business.

A 40 hour week includes your lunch break and is reason why an employer can ask you or will expect you to reduce the time or move your lunch around the operation of the business.

What??? My contracted working week excludes lunch breaks. I've never heard of a contract that does.

My lunch breaks are my own time....They aren't included in my contracted hours..I'm not paid for them..

What??? My contracted working week excludes lunch breaks. I've never heard of a contract that does.

If you are paid for 40 hours a week, Monday to Friday and you work 9am to 5pm, you are paid for your lunch breaks.

If you are paid for 38.5 hours a week, Monday to Friday and you work 9-5, you are not paid your lunch breaks. However, your employer can expect you to move your lunch break time around in order to fit in with the daily operation of the business.

Its as simple as that and as most people have a 40 hour working week, they need to check if they are paid for 40 hours or 38.5.

Edited by Berberis

If you are paid for 40 hours a week, Monday to Friday and you work 9am to 5pm, you are paid for your lunch breaks.

If you are paid for 38.5 hours a week, Monday to Friday and you work 9-5, you are not paid your lunch breaks. However, your employer can expect you to move your lunch break time around in order to fit in with the daily operation of the business.

Its as simple as that and as most people have a 40 hour working week, they need to check if they are paid for 40 hours or 38.5.

That's slightly different to what you said previously....

My lunch break times are in my contract (unpaid) but I do change them if needed by my employer or me.