Tents on Park Sq Roundabout

:hihi:You guys sound like the proverbial pair of pensioners on the park bench: Oo, it is windy!

No, I'm sure it's Thursday.

So am I, lets go and get a drink.

:confused:Wake up! Yes, it's Tent City 3. Battle between Council and Anthony C, leader of LIFE charity.

Been going on all winter. In your city!

Anthony is trying to help street homeless people/rough sleepers - though he does like a few expletives. but his heart is in the right place, I think. Council keep evicting him and the people he helps.

Search for Tent City, Sheffield - loads online and Anthony is a very passionate speaker. Thousands of followers. Lots of support from young people, I think, who understand the housing crisis on a personal level.

Rough sleeping has increased massively all over the UK in the last few years - and this includes Govt figures. Property ownership still seems to come before people, hence why squatting was made a criminal offence a few years ago.

But should the homeless have "new" tents? :o Mmmm....interesting.

Bless

:hihi:You guys sound like the proverbial pair of pensioners on the park bench: Oo, it is windy!

No, I'm sure it's Thursday.

So am I, lets go and get a drink.

:D I read that on a matchbox back in the late 70's :cool:

I was simply highlighting the SAFE area on a usually busy roundabout. The access area is legally non existent and the whole thing will end up on deaf ears.

An impact would be to camp out at a homeless housing benefits officers house - right in the front garden!! Or roadside verge :hihi: Now THAT would make an impact.

I was simply highlighting the SAFE area on a usually busy roundabout. The access area is legally non existent and the whole thing will end up on deaf ears.

An impact would be to camp out at a homeless housing benefits officers house - right in the front garden!! Or roadside verge :hihi: Now THAT would make an impact.

:huh:Deaf ears!? Hardly. Lots of supporters online. Been a couple of court cases re Tent City 1 and 2. Politicians , police, housing charities, business people, etc involved/expressing views.

Maybe those with the deaf ears just don't care.

The homeless law in England involves several "tests" - being homeless just entitles you to a bit of advice. If you don't have "priority need" (ie. children, serious health issues, etc ) you may end up on the streets.

Though there is a bill currently in Westminster that, if it became law, would entitle all homeless people temp accommodation for a month and help to sort longer term housing out. Which you currently get in Scotland and Wales but not England!

In my experience most homeless officers really care and try to help these vulnerable people. They don't make the law or have the power or control what resources are available to help homeless people.

If you want to be informed on the subject, check out Shelter or Crisis' websites.

Expert view also says the majority of people are only a couple of month's salary away from homelessness (ie redundancy, health issues, etc). Scary stuff.

Learn and resist. :)

:loopy: On the edge of an often very busy roundabout is an ideal place is it? :o

Looking at the pics though...:confused:......... :blush: (hopefully someone will be along with a pic when it's looking busy :help:

Shades of the old camp casper outside the cathedral a few years back

I don't like the idea of people freezing in tents, particularly given the sort of weather we have been having in Sheffield in the last few days. Surely there must be other options.

I don't like the idea of people freezing in tents, particularly given the sort of weather we have been having in Sheffield in the last few days. Surely there must be other options.

There are.

Its that exact reason why they were evicted from the park hill site.

They will in time be evicted from this one.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/tent-city-homeless-evicted-from-sheffield-s-park-hill-flats-1-8361310

"...Outreach workers have spent a lot of time at Tent City and, to the very best of our knowledge, everyone sleeping there either has somewhere to stay or has been offered accommodation...."

Attention seeking "protest" which provides an unnecessary and unhelpful distraction from those who are GENUINE street homeless and GENUNIELY need more help than they currently receive.

There are far far better ways for the campaigners to get action but not quite as attraction grabbing as making a show of themselves with silly actions like this. Just like the whole occupy debarcle I would not be surprised whatsoever if these tents are even habited half the time. If these people were genuinley seeking somehwere to set up a feasible and livable camp why on earth of all the places would these choose somewhere so stupid as the middle of park hil roundabout.

Edited by ECCOnoob

There are.

Its that exact reason why they were evicted from the park hill site.

They will in time be evicted from this one.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/tent-city-homeless-evicted-from-sheffield-s-park-hill-flats-1-8361310

"...Outreach workers have spent a lot of time at Tent City and, to the very best of our knowledge, everyone sleeping there either has somewhere to stay or has been offered accommodation...."

Attention seeking "protest" which provides an unnecessary and unhelpful distraction from those who are GENUINE street homeless and GENUNIELY need more help than they currently receive.

There are far far better ways for the campaigners to get action but not quite as attraction grabbing as making a show of themselves with silly actions like this. Just like the whole occupy debarcle I would not be surprised whatsoever if these tents are even habited half the time. If these people were genuinley seeking somehwere to set up a feasible and livable camp why on earth of all the places would these choose somewhere so stupid as the middle of park hil roundabout.

There must be some substance behind the setting up again in that location ?

There is most definitely a reason why they are intent on creating a scene in the public eye/press etc ?

I think the idea with the first camp at Park Hill flats in the derelict section was people living in tents but right next too them was former social housing left to rot that could be reused.

I get why the camp was set up at that location the second could be making it more visible to the masses as they drive by . I agree homeless needs to be more addressed its not an easy problem to solve but dotted about Sheffield are buildings that could be reused for shelter.

There must be some substance behind the setting up again in that location ?

There is most definitely a reason why they are intent on creating a scene in the public eye/press etc ?

I'd say no. I've seen something similar on a roundabout in London for sure and somewhere else I can't recall. It could be safety issue - you're less likely to have a drunk posh student disturb you late at night. There's a dry bit under the bridge/flyover bit if you want to stretch your legs use drink/drugs etc. 9-5 you're less likely to get a jobsworth from the council moving you on because they won't fancy taking on all that traffic.

I was simply highlighting the SAFE area on a usually busy roundabout. The access area is legally non existent and the whole thing will end up on deaf ears..

Anybodys allowed to cross the road. How is access illegal?

What a first impression of the city for visitors entering sheffield from the Parkway , an outdoor squat.

This is not Calais . Come on SCC , do something useful for once and get rid of this eyesore ASAP.

What a first impression of the city for visitors entering sheffield from the Parkway , an outdoor squat.

This is not Calais . Come on SCC , do something useful for once and get rid of this eyesore ASAP.

Never mind how the city looks, how about helping these people out and addressing the real problems ?

Edited by Starlc