Tents on Park Sq Roundabout

Support for recovery should be available on professional levels. Without the help to come back giving them housing by itself is not enough.

Even the neighbours have to be very understanding of the unusual circumstances of living next to a recovering addict or it will not work.

I completely agree, the problem is there is not enough coordination of support services. For example, if you have an alcohol problem it is almost impossible to get a mental health service, even if a person's alcohol problem is a result of their mental health problem. It makes no sense.

Sheffield canal has some nice spots to put a tent up . There's even cctv at places that can keep an eye on there tents + belongings . Why would you wanna pitch it up on a polluted roundabout. If it was me I'd wanna be somewhere where you could light a fire . If you need any help moving . Give me a shout . I can also teach you to fish . ???

:hihi:You guys sound like the proverbial pair of pensioners on the park bench: Oo, it is windy!

No, I'm sure it's Thursday.

So am I, lets go and get a drink.

:confused:Wake up! Yes, it's Tent City 3. Battle between Council and Anthony C, leader of LIFE charity.

Been going on all winter. In your city!

Anthony is trying to help street homeless people/rough sleepers - though he does like a few expletives. but his heart is in the right place, I think. Council keep evicting him and the people he helps.

Search for Tent City, Sheffield - loads online and Anthony is a very passionate speaker. Thousands of followers. Lots of support from young people, I think, who understand the housing crisis on a personal level.

Rough sleeping has increased massively all over the UK in the last few years - and this includes Govt figures. Property ownership still seems to come before people, hence why squatting was made a criminal offence a few years ago.

But should the homeless have "new" tents? :o Mmmm....interesting.

Bless

Calm yourself down matey! I was only meaning was it some sort of charity organising it or people who have literally set up camp - there's always someone to have a dig!

Get over yourself with your "bless"!

SCC should help these people find a home,everyone needs a home,somwhere safe and away from the weather elements.

They have places to stay. They have been offered accommodation. Outreach workers and the council have been dealing with them to try and help them find a home.

They DONT NEED to be there. They are making a scene and attention seeking all encouraged by Anthony Cunningham to further his ego and their so called "cause"

Like I said earlier. This has all been brought up during their last camp on park hill.

YES, there is a problem. YES, there are genuine street homeless. They are been overshadowed by these idoits.

Genuine street homeless want a safe place to stay in populated areas with facilities near them. They dont stay in the middle of a traffic roundabout.

The quicker they get evicted (again) the better.

They aren't homeless..

They have places to stay. They have been offered accommodation. Outreach workers and the council have been dealing with them to try and help them find a home.

They DONT NEED to be there. They are making a scene and attention seeking all encouraged by Anthony Cunningham to further his ego and their so called "cause"

Like I said earlier. This has all been brought up during their last camp on park hill.

YES, there is a problem. YES, there are genuine street homeless. They are been overshadowed by these idoits.

Genuine street homeless want a safe place to stay in populated areas with facilities near them. They dont stay in the middle of a traffic roundabout.

Totally agree with you pal .

On a slightly different note I'm personally fed up with the aggressive begging for money that goes on in the city centre. It's a life style choice for most

Here here:)

Well said that man, but folk on here will still have us believe they are homeless.

---------- Post added 13-02-2017 at 22:16 ----------

Totally agree with you pal .

On a slightly different note I'm personally fed up with the aggressive begging for money that goes on in the city centre. It's a life style choice for most

I know for a fact (as they told me so) that some of them stay out on a Friday & Saturday night until they've collected £100, then go home, having been sat begging by the cash machines making some people feel threatened and vulnerable and having to avoid those areas. I laugh at the gullible public who know no better and give them money.

But there are also a few genuine homeless folk, who I know get really fed up with the street drinking beggars who claim to be homeless, but arent.

The worst of them are those with sympathy dogs. They pass them around each other as a way of getting more donations. Again, the gullible public fall for it every time and probably deserve to be parted from their money.

The old saying rings very true, a fool and his money are easily parted.

Edited by WarPig

I've just been in Sheffield City Centre at 10.0 clock at night for the first time in ages, and i was shocked at what I saw. In various locations, one elderly woman and at least 5 men, some already asleep in doorways, the rest just sitting quietly propped up against the wall. None were hassling for money, but all looked lost and hopeless in their shabby clothes, and resigned to a night in the cold and dark.

For whatever reasons, yes, there are homeless people in Sheffield.

There was a good report on channel four inside world on homeless people sleeping rough allover UK today. Secret filming showing how most council refuse to help even in urgent situation.

I've just been in Sheffield City Centre at 10.0 clock at night for the first time in ages, and i was shocked at what I saw. In various locations, one elderly woman and at least 5 men, some already asleep in doorways, the rest just sitting quietly propped up against the wall. None were hassling for money, but all looked lost and hopeless in their shabby clothes, and resigned to a night in the cold and dark.

For whatever reasons, yes, there are homeless people in Sheffield.

Firstly I would bet that half of those people would have at the very least access to somewhere to stay or in some cases even a place to live to call their own.

I know more than well from my past career that many poeple with serious drink, substance abuse or mental health issues refuse help that is offered and fail to show up to their offered accommodation. Some have argued in front of me that they prefer to be on the streets with others rather than being isolated in some hostel or B&B because they have to abide by non drinking and non drug rules. Other serial attendees routinely abandon their accommodation prefering to loiter around the streets with easy pickings from gullible members of the public or becoming involved with minor criminal offences.

No fixed abode does not automatically equal "street homeless".

[...before anyone starts... this was something I had over five years of dealing with day in day out through legal aid and the courts so I have plenty of first hand knowledge...]

The bottom line is that nobody is denying that there are not SOME genuine homeless people who need help. A lot more help than they currently get.

However, we are talking about this particular attention seeking "homeless" crowd who for some stupid reason have decided to set up camp on a traffic island.

They are not people in need. They are not in desprate for food, shelter and basic provision. If they were they would be in a safe and suitable environment and accepting the help which I have absolutely no doubt they have been offered.

Its a protest and does nothing to address the real issues. In fact, it detracts from it.

Edited by ECCOnoob

They've done it for the very clear reason of attracting attention to the problem.

And it's quite clearly working.

I'd say that their reasoning is sound.

And whilsts it's well acknowledged that many rough sleepers refuse to engage with authorities or help, it's also well known that the number of rough sleepers has increased hugely in the last 5 years.

They showed some hidden cam filming on channel four inside world last night.

Few of the things they showed was that a 8 months pregnant woman and a woman begging for help because she was abused by her boyfriend didn't get any help whatsoever by the majority of councils they tried this.

These woman had to go out on the street.