The former Durham Ox pub and Old Harrow, what a mess.

I've not been up Cricket Inn Road for sometime I know the ' Durham Ox ' has been long closed has an public house then used for site office for the construction of student accommodation blocks. Been past today its now even falling down on one part every window smashed and looks like an recent fire has taken place glass everywhere.

The building looks beyond repair and now just an eyesore if you have kids keep them away its that bad now. It's a shame could have been turned into a shop or flats.

and the Old Harrow over the road in a similar state now

Oddly enough teh Durham Ox was converted to student flats before becoming the site office to build...more student flats.. having been inside when my friends lived there, it needed work, but was by no means unfeasible. strange it was left to fall into such disrepair really.

I've not been up Cricket Inn Road for sometime I know the ' Durham Ox ' has been long closed has an public house then used for site office for the construction of student accommodation blocks. Been past today its now even falling down on one part every window smashed and looks like an recent fire has taken place glass everywhere.

The building looks beyond repair and now just an eyesore if you have kids keep them away its that bad now. It's a shame could have been turned into a shop or flats.

----------------

Enclose pic of Durham Ox,

Hi Crookedspire, Ye Old Arrow pub in a right state, wouldn't know which one is the

oldist pub would you. Wonder how long they've been shut down.

Edited by brian1941
Spelling

I remember the landlady's birthday party there almost 30 years ago. Mighty Melvin was the star turn, squirting everybody with a jif lemon strategically placed in his pants (when he had them on). What a laugh - happy days.

----------------

Enclose pic of Durham Ox,

Hi Crookedspire, Ye Old Arrow pub in a right state, wouldn't know which one is the

oldist pub would you. Wonder how long they've been shut down.

The Old Harrow opened in 1825 the Durham Ox was later . The Old Harrow closed in 2006 the Durham Ox 1993 had a little Google. I know a bit about the Ox but why the Harrow been left like it is a mystery .

Yes when I walk past there I always think what a waste. It will cost them much more now to refurbish.

Never been in the Durham Ox, but I did like the Old Harrow.

Shame how so many pubs this side of town have now gone.

I remember the landlady's birthday party there almost 30 years ago. Mighty Melvin was the star turn, squirting everybody with a jif lemon strategically placed in his pants (when he had them on). What a laugh - happy days.

mighty melvin was star turn when i DJ'd at the cranworth in rotherham in 1978!

I walk past these most days and they do look a mess.... not sure why they are still standing unless they are a listed building, not even sure who has them now.

Another pubs just up the road .. The Blue Bell (I think that's the name )closed a while ago (Cricket Inn tram stop) and seems to be converted and ready to be a shop, wont be a pub again. The Wybourn across the road I am sure I saw a "for sale" sign

I walk past these most days and they do look a mess.... not sure why they are still standing unless they are a listed building, not even sure who has them now.

Another pubs just up the road .. The Blue Bell (I think that's the name )closed a while ago (Cricket Inn tram stop) and seems to be converted and ready to be a shop, wont be a pub again. The Wybourn across the road I am sure I saw a "for sale" sign

Bell Vue is the next pub up from Durham Ox like you say looks like an conversion to a shop. The Wybourn been on the market for quite some time reduced a few times.

The function room at the top of that hill on the crossroads has been knocked down recently as well.