Proposed new school across the road, where can I voice my concerns?

I went to a consultation event about this yesterday at Vestry Hall, it seemed poorly attended, I don't think they advertised it well. I learned that Stanley Fields on the other side of Pitsmoor Road is earmarked for housing, which I hadn't known, I don't know if you can see that from where you are (guessing near the top of Andover Street). That land has been empty a long time; I sympathise with you but maybe it was a bit optimistic to think it was going to remain undeveloped for long.

i heard it will be old stanley site not the field that is earmarked for housing

Some people's comments along the lines of 'the council will build it regardless' or 'they'll just ignore your objections' seem to suggest that the Council are evil and don't care about objections. Be fair; as someone has already pointed out, there are fewer viable locations for brand new schools than you may imagine, taking in to account all factors, and as someone has already said, you will always get a few objections, no matter where you go.

I'm afraid unless there is a fundemental planning issue with this particular site, impacting on a much broader range of people and properties than just yours, then I imagine this will go ahead.

Something you might (might) have some influence over is the detail of the proposed building/plan; so it would still be built near you, but if enough of a case could be put forward that a building in a certain part of the site, or of a certain scale/design would block light, or be considered too overbearing on adjoining properties, that might be enough to make them rethink the layout overall.

I would strongly suggest having a good look at the plans and working out how likely it may be that the bit that affects you could be downsized or moved to a location on the site that doesn't impact on views etc. No idea about the plans myself, so not sure if this is likely or not.

But losing a nice view alone won't do it I'm afraid.

I do feel for you though; what can you really do in that situation?

Edited by AndrewC

Sorry for your news Ghozer but if you are inclined to move elsewhere (and assuming you are the owner), place a positive spin on the proposal. There are some (certainly not me and not you) who would welcome school opportunities in close proximity for their offspring. Spin it that way and it could enhance your asking price :thumbsup:

Sad but true and very well known already is that you don't own the view or have any rights to it, and the loss of your view will not make one iota of difference.

I don't own the property, it's rented... I moved here because of it's proximity to the City Centre, and it's difficult to find somewhere this close as they get snatched up as soon as they become available!

so, where can I go to voice my concerns on the proposal? who at the council do I contact?

I don't think they have a NIMBY officer.

I don't own the property, it's rented... I moved here because of it's proximity to the City Centre, and it's difficult to find somewhere this close as they get snatched up as soon as they become available!

A real shame that you rent a place because of it's proximity to the city centre yet may have to have a view of a building. I am absolutely devastated for you. You poor, poor thing.

I really do hope somebody can help you with your plight as nobody should be expected to suffer such horrific circumstances.

A real shame that you rent a place because of it's proximity to the city centre yet may have to have a view of a building. I am absolutely devastated for you. You poor, poor thing.

I really do hope somebody can help you with your plight as nobody should be expected to suffer such horrific circumstances.

Good comment,he should stop whingeing.

Something you might (might) have some influence over is the detail of the proposed building/plan; so it would still be built near you, but if enough of a case could be put forward that a building in a certain part of the site, or of a certain scale/design would block light, or be considered too overbearing on adjoining properties, that might be enough to make them rethink the layout overall.

Doubtful, I think. The topography is pretty challenging as it is, sloping as it does in most directions from the summit, so it leaves the architects with less room for manoeuvre than otherwise.

Here is an article, about a proposed new school...

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/first-images-of-new-sheffield-school-unveiled-1-8375936

I will say this, if this gets built, i'm moving...

at the moment, I have a rather nice view over the city, I can see from Crookes/university right round towards Cricket-inn and Carlisle Street all from my front window...

if this gets built, i'll see nothing except a big boring building... the view is one of the reasons I moved here..

not to mention the noise every day, 8:30am, 3pm, each break and lunch...

ANYONE I have known who has EVER lived across the road from a school has hated it for many reasons, and i'm not looking forward to it...

so, where can I go to voice my concerns on the proposal? who at the council do I contact?

The concerns being ... that you won't like it?

That's not a valid concern from the point of view of planning.

---------- Post added 09-02-2017 at 08:41 ----------

I lived near (not quite next to) a school before, and you could almost always hear screaming kids, every start/end of school, and each break time....

it drove me mad, especially in summer when I had the windows open...

Could you have tried being at work whilst the kids were at school?

Here is an article, about a proposed new school...

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/first-images-of-new-sheffield-school-unveiled-1-8375936

I will say this, if this gets built, i'm moving...

at the moment, I have a rather nice view over the city, I can see from Crookes/university right round towards Cricket-inn and Carlisle Street all from my front window...

if this gets built, i'll see nothing except a big boring building... the view is one of the reasons I moved here..

not to mention the noise every day, 8:30am, 3pm, each break and lunch...

ANYONE I have known who has EVER lived across the road from a school has hated it for many reasons, and i'm not looking forward to it...

Your house will probably increase in value once the school opens with parents wanting to move to catchment areas.

Your house will probably increase in value once the school opens with parents wanting to move to catchment areas.

Doesn't that depend on whether it's a good school or not? Probably too early for results etc to know?