Parking Ticket, Charles Street

A couple of weeks ago, on a Sunday, I parked my car on Charles Street, which has a single yellow line. No signage up of of what the restrictions are. I came back and had a ticket on the car, as did many others. I was also told by a passing member of public that they have been ticketing cars on there like it was going out of fashion.

The PCN read, ' Parked in restricted street during prescribed hours'.

There is no signage to say what these restricted hours are. I took photos and challenged it, they have now have dropped the charge.

I wonder if they are writing to everyone else that was wrongly charged, and paid the fine, to say it was incorrectly issued????

I urge you if you have received a ticket on this street recently to contact the council.

A couple of weeks ago, on a Sunday, I parked my car on Charles Street, which has a single yellow line. No signage up of of what the restrictions are. I came back and had a ticket on the car, as did many others. I was also told by a passing member of public that they have been ticketing cars on there like it was going out of fashion.

The PCN read, ' Parked in restricted street during prescribed hours'.

There is no signage to say what these restricted hours are. I took photos and challenged it, they have now have dropped the charge.

I wonder if they are writing to everyone else that was wrongly charged, and paid the fine, to say it was incorrectly issued????

I urge you if you have received a ticket on this street recently to contact the council.

That area is within the city centre controlled zone, the large signs stating the hours of operation (8am - 8.30pm) of the controlled zone are on the entries to it. There are no on-street signs on the single yellow lines in a controlled zone (most cities and towns have them).

My understanding is that some motorists parked on the single yellow, and received tickets, but appealed and claimed to have been "confused" by an old bay marking which was apparently showing through. In the spirit of fairness, Parking Services cancelled these penalties (and advised any future ones issued there might not be cancelled) and asked for the offending bay marking to be removed.

Seems reasonable to me.

ARe you saying that it costs to park your car on a single yellow line in town on a Sunday? How crazy is that, what in god's name is the overall benefit of that, there isn't, just SCC trying to make money, what are the associated costs, salaries and costs of managing this system.

Another poor judgement by SCC.

ARe you saying that it costs to park your car on a single yellow line in town on a Sunday? How crazy is that, what in god's name is the overall benefit of that, there isn't, just SCC trying to make money, what are the associated costs, salaries and costs of managing this system.

It has been like that for years now, you can park all day for a quid... Most city centres you pay full whack on Sundays.

It has been like that for years now, you can park all day for a quid... Most city centres you pay full whack on Sundays.

Shhhhh! Stop bringing facts into it!

and?

Since when has the fact that someone has done something, somewhere, been a good justification for doing the same?

I for one am glad there is a small charge, it stops it being a free for all.

I think it would be free to park on a single yellow, outside of the controlled hours, any day of the week, but I'm happy to be corrected.

On-street marked bays would be as per the rate on the meter, which as has been already stated, is a quid all day on a Sunday. So a minimal cost, if you can afford to drive a car, you can afford a quid to park.

The overall benefit of controlling parking is that people don't just dump their car anywhere, which they most certainly would, without a thought for other road or pavement users.

No. You can't ever pay to park on a single yellow line.

On Sundays you have to pay to park in the marked on-street bays and car parks from 8am to 8.30pm. During those times you cannot park on single yellows.

Outside those times it is free to park in the marked bays / car parks and you can park on the single yellow.

As others have said, before charges were introduced on Sundays it was a bit of a free for all and people parked inconsiderately. Sheffield has by far the cheapest Sunday parking charges of the major cities. For a comparison with nearby cities, it will cost you £6 to park for the full day in Leeds and Manchester charge up to £3 per hour on Sundays, same as any other day.

and?

Since when has the fact that someone has done something, somewhere, been a good justification for doing the same?

Never. But if it was introduced to manage parking in the city better than that is.

I've recently done a bit of travelling in fairly rural areas on the East coast of Spain and didn't have to pay to park in towns and villages once, its strange how other countries provide free parking but we seem unable to.

I've recently done a bit of travelling in fairly rural areas on the East coast of Spain and didn't have to pay to park in towns and villages once, its strange how other countries provide free parking but we seem unable to.

You are comparing a parking situation in rural Spain with that in the UK's fifth (?) biggest city?

:D :D