Yorkshire Water digging up new roads!

What is it with Yorkshire Water and their obsession with digging up newly resurfaced roads? Yesterday they had a team digging up the stretch from Brook Hill roundabout up the the Children's Hospital. This was only resurfaced 2 weeks ago!! I've seen this happen a lot round Sheffield and it is always Yorkshire Water ruining the new road surface. The repair is nearly always substandard so in a few years time it will turn into a pothole!

Anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

Some utility company did the same on Manor lane, in 2 or 3 places. Most noticeable is just before the brow of the hill by the castle ruins. The repairs are terrible.

As the repairs usually result in a weak spot, it seems to me to be unacceptable to allow the utilities to leave a sub-standard repair. Does the SCC (or Amey on their behalf) have the powers to clamp down on poor repairs? If they do, they should enforce a repair which is as long lasting as the original surface, and if that requires a full resurfacing, then so be it.

They should pay Amey to come back and resurface the road so it was the same as before. Not just fill it with some uneven dirt, patch it with some asphalt from the back of a van and then drive off.

Edited by SkylinePhoto

There are minimum standards that are supposed to be followed and are enforceable by SCC/amey. But they have to actually do it.

There was supposed to be a register so that digging up of roads by utility companies, for routine maintenance, could be co-ordinated with repairs/re-surfacing. The idea being that all utility companies could complete their routine maintenance before a road was resurfaced.

I do believe this register is in place and is being used.

However I believe it is being used in reverse so that utility companies check for when a road is to be re-surfaced or another utility company is scheduled to carry out work then they ensure that any work carried out by themselves is after re-surfacing or at a different time to any other utility company work :loopy::hihi:

There are minimum standards that are supposed to be followed and are enforceable by SCC/amey. But they have to actually do it.

The repairs are terrible, the road will be mullered in no time at all.

The council need to sort them out, if the repair patch isn't upto standards they should force the company to pay for a full resurface instead.

Yep. And it's the councils inability to enforce decent standards of repairs that got the roads into the terrible state in the first place.

There must be a very low standard of worker employed by scc over the last 30 years.

Well I'd say thats fairly obvious, they don't have a stellar reputation really do they??

It's got to be in their interest to enforce it to the nth degree, or they'll finish up having to pay for additional repairs themselves, going forward.

Y.W. have just dug up a freshly laid footpath alongside Halifax Road due to a pipe burst, in fact Amey are working on an adjacent road so the might re-finish it.

Judging by the standards of repair I've encountered (bounced over), monitoring of repair standards seems to be absent- witness Upwell street.

In 10 years we'll be back to square one, it'll be like old times

A section of our rd was resurfaced last week with Amey due back later to finish off the other half. The next day Yorkshire water dug up the newly resurfaced bit. Barmy.