A disk read error occurred windows vista

Asking me to press ctrl alt and del and just keeps rebooting back to this can't even do a system restore and have no disc please help

Probably not worth spending too much time and effort on the computer as Vista support finishes in April 2017.

Try to access the bios before it trys to boot up.

Hello,

Windows Vista... From my point, it was worst operating system ever. When you have a look at the time gap between Windows OS versions released, you can see how bad the previous version was. Lets say the time gap between XP (2001) and Vista (2006) was 5 years. Vista gained popularity and started to be sold as standard OS on laptops and desktops around mid-end 2007. There were so many disappointed people that they released Windows 7 just 2 years after Vista. Same happened with Windows 8 which was released on 2012, then reviewed after complains, and re-released as 8.1 after 7 months. It was still so bad that they announced Windows 10 next year in 2014, released 2015, and so far, even if it has a few bad points, I think it's great upgrade from Windows 7.

Now regarding your problem - I think you may have had Hard drive failure. It could be hardware failure or software. If you heard any strange noises (whirring, vibration, ticking) then it may be that you need new hard drive + new OS because really, Vista is horrible. If It was software problem, you may just need Operating system reinstall.

We can diagnose your computer and offer affordable and quick solution.

Our shop is in Walkley so feel free to pop down if you would need any help.

Thanks!

Asking me to press ctrl alt and del and just keeps rebooting back to this can't even do a system restore and have no disc please help

Does your machine actually boot into Windows at all then crash out to this randomly (I'm figuring Blue screen rebooting) or does it not even get to/past the splash screen?

My suggestion in the first instance would be to turn off the option for reboot on error. Go here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/help-troubleshoot-the-blue-screen-of-death-by-preventing-automatic-reboot/ - and follow the instructions for 'Disable Automatic Reboot after Blue Screen Errors' - then if your machine blue-screens it won't automatically reboot. You then need to read the error code on the bluescreen and come back to us as to what the error code is so that we can see why Windows keeps crashing.

If it is a hard drive/bad sector issue there may be ways around this to get Windows to at least boot - There's a backup copy of the Windows Bootloader kept in a separate area of the drive to mitigate disk faults in the boot sectors. This is one of the benefits of NTFS. A little more information on the problem would help once you've done some further testing if you can.

Hello,

Windows Vista... From my point, it was worst operating system ever. When you have a look at the time gap between Windows OS versions released, you can see how bad the previous version was. Lets say the time gap between XP (2001) and Vista (2006) was 5 years. Vista gained popularity and started to be sold as standard OS on laptops and desktops around mid-end 2007. There were so many disappointed people that they released Windows 7 just 2 years after Vista. Same happened with Windows 8 which was released on 2012, then reviewed after complains, and re-released as 8.1 after 7 months. It was still so bad that they announced Windows 10 next year in 2014, released 2015, and so far, even if it has a few bad points, I think it's great upgrade from Windows 7.

Actually, Vista had a long development cycle because XP's primary support cycle was extended several times. This was done because XP was the first M$ OS that tried to unify the user experience of home and corporate users i.e getting Home users off of 16bit, bringing them up to NT standards. Prior to XP, corporate was expected to be on NT (pure 32bit) line from NT 3.5, 4, then Windows 2000. Home users were on 95 (which had 3 releases) 98 (Which had a Second Edition) or ME which was indeed the worst M$ OS due certain pseudo processing of 16bit alongside 32bit caused major instability. A lot of factors helped the perception that XP was just a better OS for everyone than whatever home OS's had gone before it, not least that the file system support natively became NTFS rather than FAT (either 16 or 32)

XP was the first M$ OS to try to support the upgrade to 64bit computing, which again extended its useful life. Vista was the first M$ OS to actually properly support 64bit computing and upon release actually had a more secure default installation base than Windows 7 (certain features were paired back in 7 from Vista in order to improve the user experience, at the expense of security) Vista had a perception problem in that hardware requirements were a lot higher to run Vista well than what had come before it. A lot of this was because a)People don't like changes in their user interface, they don't like to have to learn new stuff if they're comfortable using whatever has gone before. and b)The user interface changes themselves required more graphics processing power/DirectX compatibility in hardware in order to perform. Manufacturers had signed contracts with Microsoft to ship Vista, but then tried to keep their prices down by constraining the actual hardware that was sold in the machines that they were shipping - again partly an issue of XPs long previous cycle. People had been waiting to upgrade but the manufacturers chose to clear a lot of the previous gen components that they had backed up in their warehouses. Vista had a fair few things running against its perception from the off because of this. It ran well if you gave it a decent hardware platform to perform on. The only negative was Vista's memory management wasn't as refined as 7's became - but 7 was built off Vista's code base anyway and wouldn't have become what it did without Vista.

XP was also successful due to that corporate entities had a multitude of proprietary 'in house' software written for it which then made a lot of corporate reluctant to upgrade once XP was superseded. Even now, there are a lot of corp orates that feel the need to maintain instances of XP, even if it's sandboxed in a virtual machine in order to maintain certain business critical operations.

VISTA!!!!!!!!!! We're going to die :hihi:

Still loving that quote! :D

---------- Post added 06-02-2017 at 13:04 ----------

Hello,

Windows Vista... From my point, it was worst operating system ever.

Nooooh! ME was! :hihi:

"Say guys, got a great idea, let's put a Beta out but not tell them it's Beta, and get enough cash to produce the real deal 2 years down the line based on customer feedback? What do you think, is it a goer?":hihi: