Laptop resolution problem,I think.

When I try to play an episode of last of the summer wine, or something similar from youtube the picture is too big for the screen and I can only see about 50% of the picture. All the edges are missing as if the picture is too big for the screen.Is there any way I can alter this?

What's your laptop's resolution set at? Have you tried the little cog at the bottom right hand corner to downsample the res (labelled 'quality')? Usually Youtube will automatically display resolution on detection of connection speed and browser resolution, but there may be something funky such as a plugin or other setting that may be throwing this automatic process off.

You might have zoomed in by accident on your browser. Try "CTRL" and "-" to zoom out if you zoom to far in "CTRL" and "+" to make it larger again.

What browser and Operating System are you using? Also does this only occur in full screen mode?

It is the same on all 3 browsers and it is the same in full screen.I have been onto the settings cog and tried all the settings there all to no avail.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the Graphics Card driver. Also check to see if there is an updated driver.

That looks as if it will cure my problem if I new how and where to put the tag.:D

From reading swarfendor43 link it only applies to videos you have uploaded yourself? Are these your own videos?

And so we know what we're working with, I ask again - what is your laptop's native resolution (if you know it) and are you running at that native resolution?

From reading swarfendor43 link it only applies to videos you have uploaded yourself? Are these your own videos?

No,they are just videos from the youtube collection I look at.

---------- Post added 06-02-2017 at 16:28 ----------

And so we know what we're working with, I ask again - what is your laptop's native resolution (if you know it) and are you running at that native resolution?

I think I will be running on native resolution because I never tamper with things I do not know about.

be wary before you go fiddling that some people alter how the videos look and sound so they arent picked up by youtubes automated copyright checker, i dont see the point in watching them dodgilly but......

On 17th January, you advised someone to use Ctrl and + to increase text size... If you've done this yourself within the browser, you may have increased the window too - use ctrl and 0 to bring the browser size back to default and see what happens.