Carbrook Hall pub is closing for good

I don't know how busy the Carbrook is today, but 10 years ago when I worked nearby it was often heaving with drinkers at lunch times and after work. I suppose that wasn't such a large proportion of the week's opening hours. I recall smoke discoloured decor and the recently banished smokers congregating outside under an insubstantial shelter. Certainly a pub with more character than most we now encounter.

Sad, there are so few historic old buildings left in Sheffield. Hard to believe it is not listed.

Grade two listing same as the former Britannia pub off Attercliffe Road then. Does the listing include the 17th century panelling ( Carbrook Hall pub ) a mate looked into buying the Britannia the listing for that was basically the shell not the inside. The bar area was modern the upper floors were newish bedsits rooms listing doesn't always include inside features.

Had many good times in there in the past

My uncle just said typical Sheffield council, if it hadn't been a

pub, it'd have been down with the rest of the area in the demolitions. Being a pub was the only thing that saved the old queens head in pond street.

The council refused to nominate the Carbrook as a community asset recently.

When I was last in, around 25 or maybe more years ago, there was a picture on the wall of the Hall before industrialisation, surrounded by corn fields. At that time it was hard to imagine that pastoral view as it was then closely dwarfed by the 60' high, corrugated, black steel works sheds. Now they have gone; will it ever go back to how it was in the picture ? I doubt it, but it goes to show how times change.

A friend has just posted on Facebook that part of the former public house has now been demolished following the arson attack last month.

It is such a shame that the building will inevitably disappear despite its listed status, and being an "asset of community value".

Does anyone know if anything can be done to save what is left of it?

The current owner, although publicly claiming to want to preserve it, appears to be doing the opposite. It all seems very suspicious.

A friend has just posted on Facebook that part of the former public house has now been demolished following the arson attack last month.

It is such a shame that the building will inevitably disappear despite its listed status, and being an "asset of community value".

Does anyone know if anything can be done to save what is left of it?

The current owner, although publicly claiming to want to preserve it, appears to be doing the opposite. It all seems very suspicious.

It's a tragedy. An utter tragedy...That old pub is now being used as a car park for those who work nearby.

As far as i am aware, it is a listed building so hopefully nothing untoward will happen to it...But...Knowing Sheffield Council...They will find a way to tear it down and sell off the land to the highest bidder. Sad times indeed :(

It's a tragedy. An utter tragedy...That old pub is now being used as a car park for those who work nearby.

As far as i am aware, it is a listed building so hopefully nothing untoward will happen to it...But...Knowing Sheffield Council...They will find a way to tear it down and sell off the land to the highest bidder. Sad times indeed :(

Do the council own the building and the land?