Anyone a mechanic on here? Advice only (no jobs/quotes etc)

On 23/01/2021 at 16:14, charliewag said:

I have a couple of minor but annoying issues with my 13 plate Astra and am looking for some advice. I keep getting a warning that the coolant level is low ( it's checked regularly and never needs topping up ). The other issue is that the temperature display shows between 28-30 degrees even though it's more like 3-4 degrees.

Sounds like defective sender units on both items 

On 23/01/2021 at 16:14, charliewag said:

I have a couple of minor but annoying issues with my 13 plate Astra and am looking for some advice. I keep getting a warning that the coolant level is low ( it's checked regularly and never needs topping up ). The other issue is that the temperature display shows between 28-30 degrees even though it's more like 3-4 degrees.

If the expansion tank is between max and min then there could be a fault with the level sensor, If my memory serves well. Some Astras did also need a sensor and expansion tank for this fault, but not sure on the era of this, maybe 2009/10? could be later. Also the the temperature gauge would not show 3 to 4 degrees, it would kick in at 30 degrees maybe. What temperature does it run at when it is up to temperature? Vauxhall's usually run at about 90 degrees when fully warmed up. 

Edited by Dardandec

Sorry, I should have mentioned it's the outside temperature shown on the display unit, not the running temperature.

Is it showing that temp when the engine is cold? The sensor is usually fitted behind the front grill lowish down, and if it becomes unclipped it could touch the radiator.

6 hours ago, charliewag said:

Sorry, I should have mentioned it's the outside temperature shown on the display unit, not the running temperature.

Ahh that makes sense.

4 hours ago, carosio said:

Is it showing that temp when the engine is cold? The sensor is usually fitted behind the front grill lowish down, and if it becomes unclipped it could touch the radiator.

The outside temp sensor is also a common fault on Vauxhalls. You can pick genuine Vauxhall ones up on ebay, they are not expensive.

I have a hyundai i10, failed mot today on emissions, what would cause this to happen?  It was suggested that petrol or lack of use. I use everyday, travel at least 12 miles a day, not loads I know but I've never had this happen before.

Change air filter or take it out     needs  service    

Edited by spider1

Lambda sensor faults can cause emission failure as well, a bunch of things can.

Needs investigation by a mechanic/garage.

Edited by geared

3 hours ago, Jillybabes said:

I have a hyundai i10, failed mot today on emissions, what would cause this to happen?  It was suggested that petrol or lack of use. I use everyday, travel at least 12 miles a day, not loads I know but I've never had this happen before.

If you have an emissions printout post the results for the first and second fast idle test and the idle test on here.

HC (Hydrocarbons)

CO (Carbon Monoxide)

Lambda

No need to post the tolerances just the actual values.

A High HC reading could be a misfire.

A high CO reading could be an issue with the catalytic converter.

A high Lambda reading could be a blowing exhaust.

Its been sorted now but it was the lambda reading, its passed now but thanks and I will get a service done