Anyone a mechanic on here? Advice only (no jobs/quotes etc)

We had timing belt changed by a mobile mechanic who took the car away to do job early this year , he brought it back 2 hrs later saying job done .

Just last week the vehicle was booked into a local garage for a cylinder head job , the timing belt was found to be cracked, worn and loose , the verdict was that the belt was ready to fail any time . beware of these mobile mechanics  if they insist on taking car away to do job seems to be the lesson learned here .

On 12/12/2019 at 20:24, geared said:

Nope, even on a older car that was not fuel starvation.

If the exhaust stinks of fuel it's simply not burning it, indicating an ignition problem not fuel delivery.

Change the spark plugs, coil pack(s) and ignition leads (if it has them)

I removed the plugs and the centers are a smooth black indicating that the fault is giving a rich mixture. I've ran the coils and the flash from all 3 plugs lights the garage up. Would this indicate the coils are ok? The engine now fires but stops after 2-3 secs.

Edited by carosio

got a strange issue with my car just wondering if someones had similar as garages have no idea car is a petrol it starts drives briliant alls well till it warms up then exhaust from front of car rattles like mad sounds really rubbish does it mostly going up hill very rarely on flat  let car stand an hour its fine again somedays it dosent do it really getting on my nerves its a nice car other than that any suggestions appreciated apart from scrap it car has 47k on clock with full dealer history so its well cared for

2 hours ago, Hans-solo said:

got a strange issue with my car just wondering if someones had similar as garages have no idea car is a petrol it starts drives briliant alls well till it warms up then exhaust from front of car rattles like mad sounds really rubbish does it mostly going up hill very rarely on flat  let car stand an hour its fine again somedays it dosent do it really getting on my nerves its a nice car other than that any suggestions appreciated apart from scrap it car has 47k on clock with full dealer history so its well cared for

There will be a flexible joint on the front section/front pipe of the exhaust, these can be prone to rattling. As heat expands this joint the noise can be more pronounced. That would be the first place I would be looking. Also front exhaust hangers/mounts although these don't tend to be affected  by heat.

Edited by Dardandec
Re-worded

1 hour ago, Dardandec said:

There will be a flexible joint on the front section/front pipe of the exhaust, these can be prone to rattling. As heat expands this joint the noise can be more pronounced. That would be the first place I would be looking. Also front exhaust hangers/mounts although these don't tend to be affected  by heat.

Cheers I'll look into the flexi pipe 

On 25/01/2020 at 20:38, Hans-solo said:

You don't mention the age of the car or the age of the exhaust.  Parts fail and wear out over time as well as mileage.

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

You don't mention the age of the car or the age of the exhaust.  Parts fail and wear out over time as well as mileage.

It's a 2011 plate hyundai i20 middle and rear are new about 6 months ago

My car's brakes are squealing and grating - is this something to be worried about, or just an irritation?  They're working fine, there's no knocking sounds.

I got the car about 6 months ago, initially thought the noise was just because it had been standing for a while.  It had been serviced by the garage when it came back to them (looking at the history it was one person has had it from new, and probably part exchanged it).

It had an MOT and service yesterday, but on the drive back I noticed the brakes still squealing a bit and grating.  I assume they were checked as part of the service/MOT, but given that they managed to miss the 4" strip of rubber that's come loose on one of the wiper blades, that might be an optimistic view...

Do I need to take it to a competent garage, or just turn the radio up and ignore it?!

1 minute ago, Becky B said:

My car's brakes are squealing and grating - is this something to be worried about, or just an irritation?  They're working fine, there's no knocking sounds.

I got the car about 6 months ago, initially thought the noise was just because it had been standing for a while.  It had been serviced by the garage when it came back to them (looking at the history it was one person has had it from new, and probably part exchanged it).

It had an MOT and service yesterday, but on the drive back I noticed the brakes still squealing a bit and grating.  I assume they were checked as part of the service/MOT, but given that they managed to miss the 4" strip of rubber that's come loose on one of the wiper blades, that might be an optimistic view...

Do I need to take it to a competent garage, or just turn the radio up and ignore it?!

Get the brakes checked  out. Never take risks with your brakes.  The problem with mot is the tester can not disassemble anything to check it’s just a visual check there and then  your life and others could depend on your brakes working fine 

3 hours ago, Becky B said:

Sounds like brake pad issue.

Have them checked.

Hi my transit van 2007 drives nicely then loses power the temperature goes up but the van does not over heat at all doesnt lose water no lights come on the dash only last few minutes then speeds up again drive normal then does it again I ant got a clue some one said the temperature sensor switche but need help please thanks lesley

37 minutes ago, Lesley cobs said:

Hi my transit van 2007 drives nicely then loses power the temperature goes up but the van does not over heat at all doesnt lose water no lights come on the dash only last few minutes then speeds up again drive normal then does it again I ant got a clue some one said the temperature sensor switche but need help please thanks lesley

Get it plugged in to a diagnostic machine and read live data