Anyone a mechanic on here? Advice only (no jobs/quotes etc)

11 minutes ago, WardyOliver said:

All cars have two reverse lights... at least in the UK.

You sure about that?

13 hours ago, WardyOliver said:

What do you mean? All cars have two reverse lights... at least in the UK.

Mine doesn't.  Left side reverse, right side fog light.

14 hours ago, WardyOliver said:

What do you mean? All cars have two reverse lights... at least in the UK.

My car has 2 but it's not the same on all makes/models. 

Have a look on Google images and see if you can find a picture that's the same as your car and post a link to it. If yours has a white lens either side, I would imagine it has a bulb either side. If it does take a bulb either side, did you look for corrosion on the side that's not working? It might also be worth checking the fuses.

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

Mine doesn't.  Left side reverse, right side fog light.

My car is the same, and the reverse light is rubbish as well :(

I'm at work like proper cuffuzzled ere. My car better have 2 reverse lights... 

23 hours ago, zach said:

My car has 2 but it's not the same on all makes/models. 

Have a look on Google images and see if you can find a picture that's the same as your car and post a link to it. If yours has a white lens either side, I would imagine it has a bulb either side. If it does take a bulb either side, did you look for corrosion on the side that's not working? It might also be worth checking the fuses.

RENAULT  TWINGO GT 16V  1149cc PETROL, 3 Door 3 DOOR HATCHBACK - this is my car but can't find a good enough picture. It's blue 

On 28/04/2019 at 20:23, Dardandec said:

You sure about that?

Sorry, I was wrong..

On 27/04/2019 at 20:28, Dardandec said:

There is only one reverse light and that should be on the passenger side rear. The driver's side rear should be a fog lamp.

Oh 

Thinking on, my comment about white lens might throw you off. I seem to remember some cars had a white indicator lens with a coloured bulb. I'm not sure on the latest rules and regs about this. Although I used to be an MOT examiner, I last tested in the mid 90's and things have changed since then. I'd just pop in any garage and I can't see them even charging just to take a quick look and put you right as to what lights are where. Obviously if it needs work, it will cost you something.

ABS light and warning triangle come on on my 55 plate Smart Forfour CDI. Changed pads and checked fluid level, brake lights work. Can't do much more without a OBI code reader, but the cheap ones don't work properly on Smarts. Any suggestions or experience of where I can get a diagnostics done? 

I know main dealer is an option but don't really want to be taking out a bank loan to pay for it, cheers.

Many mobile mechanics can do this.

44 minutes ago, blackydog said:

ABS light and warning triangle come on on my 55 plate Smart Forfour CDI. Changed pads and checked fluid level, brake lights work. Can't do much more without a OBI code reader, but the cheap ones don't work properly on Smarts. Any suggestions or experience of where I can get a diagnostics done? 

I know main dealer is an option but don't really want to be taking out a bank loan to pay for it, cheers.

By "OBI reader" I'm guessing you mean EOBD (Or OBD2 in the USA).

The EOBD system was originally designed simply to monitor engine components that may affect emissions, so you won't find one that reads ABS. Any handheld that does read ABS faults will have manufacturer-specific software.

When did the ABS light first illuminate, was it after you changed the pads or before?

1 hour ago, blackydog said:

Any suggestions 

Wheel speed sensors have been known to fail/come unplugged which will certainly give an ABS warning.

It might be worth checking that they are all connected and if they are, unplug and spray the connectors with switch cleaner. That could clear the warning.

16 hours ago, RootsBooster said:

By "OBI reader" I'm guessing you mean EOBD (Or OBD2 in the USA).

The EOBD system was originally designed simply to monitor engine components that may affect emissions, so you won't find one that reads ABS. Any handheld that does read ABS faults will have manufacturer-specific software.

When did the ABS light first illuminate, was it after you changed the pads or before?

Before. I was hoping to find them worn when i took them apart.

Probably got a broken ABS sensor then, will need a code reader for the Smart cars to know which one is the problem.