Anyone a mechanic on here? Advice only (no jobs/quotes etc)

Update

My carer and his mate say the beep test worked and it beeped, they have got the radio amd doors operational, but still can't undo the immoboliser, central locking, etc, so it could be towed.They have spent hours on it.

So, it can't be the key can it, but it must be if the immobiliser won't switch off.

It's remotely possible that if the voltage regulator has failed on the alternator, that the voltage spike has damaged the ECU.

Or: All these battery replacements - is it possible someone has briefly connected one of them the wrong way?

And, was a BSI reset carried out every time the battery was swapped?

Central locking may not work if the car is in economy mode. 

If it were me I would:

1) Get the alternator checked

2) Get the earth points checked - especially the one hidden under the battery tray

3) New battery 

4) Full Planet diagnostic to determine if any ECU is damaged

Its a shame this has happened now, I had a nearly new battery at my dad's you could have had. But he brought it back to me last week.

Edited by alchresearch

HI

I haver realised i have full cover breakdown so they are coming out later, I am also hoping a PP person will then be able to have a look

shame about the battery

tx

in terms of looking at the alternator, isn't that a big job, removing belt, etc.

Edited by gamezone07

No, alternator is a very simple job.  Loosen bolts, remove alternator belt.   Its only a simple drive belt, nothing like the cam belt.

Breakdown has been out and recovered the car. They checked the battery and starter motor, both appear to be ok. Tried jumpstarting and bump starting but wasn’t able to get it started. Thinks it’s an electrical issue causing the keys and immobiliser to become unpaired. they didn't spend too long on it.

Id

1 hour ago, gamezone07 said:

Breakdown has been out and recovered the car. They checked the battery and starter motor, both appear to be ok. Tried jumpstarting and bump starting but wasn’t able to get it started. Thinks it’s an electrical issue causing the keys and immobiliser to become unpaired. they didn't spend too long on it.

Buy a new chip for key ,get it programmed and see how you get on 

Hopefully I have put this in the right place but my right reverse light on my Renault Twingo won't come on. The right hand side one works so it isn't a fuse problem but we went to Halfords to buy 2 new reverse lights and it still doesn't come on. 

Any ideas? 

48 minutes ago, WardyOliver said:

Hopefully I have put this in the right place but my right reverse light on my Renault Twingo won't come on. The right hand side one works so it isn't a fuse problem but we went to Halfords to buy 2 new reverse lights and it still doesn't come on. 

Any ideas? 

There is only one reverse light and that should be on the passenger side rear. The driver's side rear should be a fog lamp.

Can someone please tell me whether the front exhaust bracket (below the sump) on a 2006 C3 1.1 (it has broken its weld) could be interpreted as test failure?

On the last test it was an advisory. The system appears quite rigid as it is.

9 minutes ago, carosio said:

Can someone please tell me whether the front exhaust bracket (below the sump) on a 2006 C3 1.1 (it has broken its weld) could be interpreted as test failure?

On the last test it was an advisory. The system appears quite rigid as it is.

If the exhaust has no excessive blow and is adequately supported it would be an advisory. 

23 hours ago, Dardandec said:

There is only one reverse light and that should be on the passenger side rear. The driver's side rear should be a fog lamp.

What do you mean? All cars have two reverse lights... at least in the UK.