Anyone a mechanic on here? Advice only (no jobs/quotes etc)

2 minutes ago, gamezone07 said:

thing is the car is parked in Porter Brook GP Centre! It can't stay there much longer,

If the car starts and runs why can't you move it from there?

Has anyone actually measured the charging voltage with the engine running and up to temperature?  The problem with chucking second hand batteries at the problem is that you really need to check charging circuits with a fully charged battery in reasonably good nick.

It doesn't run, it literally makes three putting noises then nowt, re: new batteries, very low income,

Edited by gamezone07

6 minutes ago, gamezone07 said:

It doesn't run, it literally makes three putting noises then nowt, re: new batteries, very low income,

6 minutes ago, gamezone07 said:

Sorry, not sure why the quote and nothing else.

It's this new format that seems to submit a reply before it is finished! 😡

What I was going to say is if you know someone with a car and a set of (decent) jump leads, try starting it with their engine running. If your car runs alright with the other car hooked up then dies when the leads are disconnected then you almost certainly have a charging problem. If it still runs 'rough' with a healthy charging system hooked up to it then you have a different problem which will need further investigation.

If it is eating batteries it could well be a charging fault but don't fall foul of the old school boy error and just replace the alternator on a whim. Dodgy engine earths can cause charging problems, seen it a thousand times at work no exaggeration. They can obviously cause other running faults too, so that would be the first thing I would check. Second would be fuses, Highly unlikely in this case but still an over looked fault. Next would be to check for a drain (Dodgy regulators on alternators can cause this amongst loads of other stuff) If this is all good, I would then check the charge rate, if all the other checks are ok then it has to be the alternator.  

Well, my carer has disappeared and the car is still immobolised at the GP practice, I am dreading it but I think I will have to pay for for a transporter

14 hours ago, Dardandec said:

If it is eating batteries it could well be a charging fault but don't fall foul of the old school boy error and just replace the alternator on a whim. Dodgy engine earths can cause charging problems, seen it a thousand times at work no exaggeration. They can obviously cause other running faults too, so that would be the first thing I would check. Second would be fuses, Highly unlikely in this case but still an over looked fault. Next would be to check for a drain (Dodgy regulators on alternators can cause this amongst loads of other stuff) If this is all good, I would then check the charge rate, if all the other checks are ok then it has to be the alternator.  

Tell me about it! I had a MK2 Astra and the battery kept going flat. When it got to the third battery, I checked the charge rate and it was too low. It was found to be a poor connection on the alternator earthing strap, 10 ohms when it should be zero. What threw me was that the dash light kept going out as normal.

11 minutes ago, carosio said:

When it got to the third battery, I checked the charge rate and it was too low. It was found to be a poor connection on the alternator earthing strap, 10 ohms when it should be zero. What threw me was that the dash light kept going out as normal.

The 'battery' light on the dashboard goes out once an output voltage is detected at the altternator, even if 90% of that voltage is leaking away to ground.

I'm amazed at the number of people who keep replacing batteries without checking charging voltage before doing anything.

I agree, fundamental error, in my case, a mental error!

My carer is with the car now, and is certain it is the  key, trying to get  Peugeout Planet, anyone have it?

4 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Why not get Latif Fital to do a diagnostic check on it?  He's in Sheffield with Planet.

His number is on his pushpin on the map.

http://tinyurl.com/peugeotplanetmap

HI, didn't see that on the map, tx

Edited by gamezone07