Anyone a mechanic on here? Advice only (no jobs/quotes etc)

My wife has just bought a Fiat 500, purely on how it looked and after a ten-minute test drive.

It is really lumpy on idle and cuts out when it comes to a stop (but not if the handbrake is on - sometimes). It restarts when the clutch is depressed, but not every time.

Presumably these things occurred during the 10 minute test drive and she still bought it?

And how did it look any different to the countless other Fiat 500s for sale?

Presumably these things occurred during the 10 minute test drive and she still bought it?

And how did it look any different to the countless other Fiat 500s for sale?

It didn't cut out in the test drive and not restart. It was allegedly serviced after the test drive. I suggested waiting and trying some others for comparison. I even suggested trying the 1.2 in red at the same dealership but she had made-up her mind. Now I have to sort it out.

at the same dealership

If you bought it from a dealers, just take it back.

If you bought it full stop you need your head examining.

If you bought it from a dealers, just take it back.

I am doing but would like to know if it is supposed to stop/start and if it can be overridden. They don't seem to know.

I am doing but would like to know if it is supposed to stop/start and if it can be overridden. They don't seem to know.

Yes, it can be deactivated by pressing the stop/start button.

An LED letter 'S' with a line through it appears on the dashboard to show that it has been deactivated.

I have just found out that my Rover 25 has secret wheelnut locks without any primary extractor in the kit ( it has a metal double nut gadget ) . The tyre has a screw sticking out of the tread and is going down. The device has a code : it says 36 - handwritten on the relevant manual page : does this sound about right ? Where are these things available ? How efective are the repair jobs done through the valve ? The car was on the drive : I could have been anywhere .

I have just found out that my Rover 25 has secret wheelnut locks without any primary extractor in the kit ( it has a metal double nut gadget ) . The tyre has a screw sticking out of the tread and is going down. The device has a code : it says 36 - handwritten on the relevant manual page : does this sound about right ? Where are these things available ? How efective are the repair jobs done through the valve ? The car was on the drive : I could have been anywhere .

I'd suggest you take your car to local mechanic and get them to remove all the wheelnut locks.

I'd suggest you take your car to local mechanic and get them to remove all the wheelnut locks.

Flat tyre : also , is the plastic sleeve really necessary ? Surely , there should be an alternative : I have the critical - metal - part .

Flat tyre : also , is the plastic sleeve really necessary ? Surely , there should be an alternative : I have the critical - metal - part .

Call out a mobile mechanic. They have kits now where you hammer soft metal sockets over the wheel nut.

And get them to remove all of them. They are a nuisance from the old days when having alloys used to be a thing!

Call out a mobile mechanic. They have kits now where you hammer soft metal sockets over the wheel nut.

And get them to remove all of them. They are a nuisance from the old days when having alloys used to be a thing!

The end cap came off with pliers and the unlock device got the nut off : total 20 seconds . I was looking for a complex fix .