Anyone a mechanic on here? Advice only (no jobs/quotes etc)

I recently changed the pads on my car, I just wedged a screwdriver between the pads and the piston (with the caliper down), wiggle screwdriver to force the piston back. Then raise caliper and change pads. Worth doing a search on YouTube.

I wouldn't go levering the piston in if its a screw in type.

Yes you should use a proper caliper rewind tool, they're only a few quid and most places stock them.

Are the pistons reverse thread? I can't remember?

Yes you should use a proper caliper rewind tool, they're only a few quid and most places stock them.

Are the pistons reverse thread? I can't remember?

Isn't it just the ones on rear wheels that need to be screwed in?

Isn't it just the ones on rear wheels that need to be screwed in?

If its the external handbrake type yes, if its the internal handbrake type then the caliper is just a push back one.

I have just viewed one and the foot-wells were soaking wet. The car had been stood for a couple of weeks and it has been raining a lot. I gather that blocked pipes can cause the problem and a good clean under the bonnet should fix it. I also noticed a raised ridge running down the middle of the footwell in the direction of the pedals to the seat, which felt a little strange. I would have expected it to be flat. Is this how the cars are? Or is there something amiss with this one? Otherwise the car seems fine. Any advice would be much appreciated.

The title of this thread was changed by a mod for some reason. The car is a 53 plate Renault Scenic.

Edited by Marx

When I saw title of the thread Jason Statham crossed my mind:D

I have just viewed one and the foot-wells were soaking wet. The car had been stood for a couple of weeks and it has been raining a lot.

I'd avoid. Any seller who can't be bothered to make a car presentable could be lazy in care in other areas of the car.

I have just viewed one and the foot-wells were soaking wet. The car had been stood for a couple of weeks and it has been raining a lot. I gather that blocked pipes can cause the problem and a good clean under the bonnet should fix it. I also noticed a raised ridge running down the middle of the footwell in the direction of the pedals to the seat, which felt a little strange. I would have expected it to be flat. Is this how the cars are? Or is there something amiss with this one? Otherwise the car seems fine. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Some kind of idea what make and model of car would be helpful.

Someone changed the title of the thread! Renault Scenic 53 plate.

sounds like the drainage ducts whats blocked up causes water to ingress into footwell had the same problem on a renault laguna go on renault forums for how to fix easy job

Main concern with wet in the footwell area is the possibility of damage to the electrics behind the dash, a fair number of cars also place the ECU in that area.

Given it's a relatively common car I'd look elsewhere, unless it's stupid cheap.

Main concern with wet in the footwell area is the possibility of damage to the electrics behind the dash, a fair number of cars also place the ECU in that area.

Given it's a relatively common car I'd look elsewhere, unless it's stupid cheap.

It is pretty cheap and in otherwise ok condition. I will have a closer look around the electrics and bulkhead though. It had been stood for a couple of weeks while they were on holiday and it has rained a lot lately.

The 'crossmember' running along the footwell is a little odd.