Anyone a mechanic on here? Advice only (no jobs/quotes etc)

Just bought a 2003 pug 206 with abs light on it. Fella who i bought it off said it needs new brake pads thats why lights on. Does that sound right? He pads werent completely worn and would be safe for about another 1000 miles or so. Only 24 quid to have them replaced. Would this be whats causing light to be on? Thanks

Nope, worn brake pads would not cause an ABS fault. First port of call would be to retrieve a code.

Nope, worn brake pads would not cause an ABS fault. First port of call would be to retrieve a code.

How would I do that? Its just had its MOT and passed. Would the advisory sheet show whats wrong?

How would I do that? Its just had its MOT and passed. Would the advisory sheet show whats wrong?

An illuminated ABS lamp is an MOT fail, so should have failed if it was on at the time of test. The only way to retrieve the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is to plug a diagnostic tester into the onboard diagnostics (OBD) port and scan for faults.

Edited by Dardandec

An illuminated ABS lamp is an MOT fail, so should have failed if it was on at the time of test. The only way to retrieve the diagnostic trouble code (DTS) is to plug a diagnostic tester into the onboard diagnostics (OBD) port and scan for faults.

Oh crap. How much do mechanics charge for that? Had such a bad time with cars and could cry!

Oh crap. How much do mechanics charge for that? Had such a bad time with cars and could cry!

Depends where you take it but most places would charge 1/2 their hourly rate or there abouts.

Depends where you take it but most places would charge 1/2 their hourly rate or there abouts.

What do you charge where you work? Thanks

What do you charge where you work? Thanks

I work at a test station now. If I had the kit I would check it you for free.

I work at a test station now. If I had the kit I would check it you for free.

Thank you anyway. Ive pm'd you with advisorys asking if they show anythings.

Are you sure it's an ABS fault light and not a pad wear light? Being that the pads are almost worn out I mean...

Are you sure it's an ABS fault light and not a pad wear light? Being that the pads are almost worn out I mean...

Manual says abs light. Doesnt mention pads.

Just bought a 2003 pug 206 with abs light on it. Fella who i bought it off said it needs new brake pads thats why lights on. Does that sound right?

No. The most common problem is that the rear ABS sensors get dirt and water behind them. Rust forms and it pushes them away from the hub.

Its a really simple free fix, takes about half an hour.

There's guides on peugeotforums.com.

The second common reason for the light on is a bad electrical connection on the ABS unit. It should have a waterproof bag on it, but over the years deteriorates and gets taken off.

Disconnect the electrical connector and give it a good blast with electrical contact cleaner. Then replace the bag. You can pick them up for a few quid from Citroen dealers (Peugeot don't stock the part oddly enough!)

Help!!!

We have an elderly vauxhall corsa C, it was a really really nice luttle run around (03) plate, i last parked her on my drive in dec last year, and she only did 200 miles since last mot, she has always been cared for too, however last week i went to start her but knew the battery would be flat and that should have been it! So powered her via a donor battery, took ages starting i mean ages! I got her nicely ticking over off i went and did around 15-20 miles no running issues at all, then i noticed... The clocks not working, i parked her back up and this is where the trouble started! Not a chance of a start, the engine turns over for 5-6 secs then dies so i left her alone for a day or so, then on inspection without the key being in the ignition.. The lights on the clocks were on, no spanner light! Had AA he said he couldnt read it on his fault machine cos of no spanner light as it only read incorrect vehicle match? I then bought new clocks fitted them correctly to the cluster behind the clocks but although the clock lights ( warning lights) have gone off and all the gauges are now working, still not running! She turns over and dies out! ( the pin i noted on my last plug in clocks were bent) help.. Its now at what do i do!!!

Edited by ka2010