Sheffield council care home fees

This is so wrong. If you have no money you will have to go where the council is prepared to pay for you. Do you really think cash strapped councils will happily pay £1,000 a week for people to go into the 'best' homes when there are cheaper one's available?

Of course they wont. But dont kid yourself into thinking money grabbing reletives wont stick granny in a crap hole so they can have more money when they shuffle off. All homes should (should being the opertive word) be of a deecnt standard - and in my limited experience there were still a decent number at a "par" price.

This is so wrong. If you have no money you will have to go where the council is prepared to pay for you. Do you really think cash strapped councils will happily pay £1,000 a week for people to go into the 'best' homes when there are cheaper one's available?

...but there is still choice, and that choice will match the individual's care needs. Even for those fully funded by the council have a choice where they go.

Of course they wont. But dont kid yourself into thinking money grabbing reletives wont stick granny in a crap hole so they can have more money when they shuffle off. All homes should (should being the opertive word) be of a deecnt standard - and in my limited experience there were still a decent number at a "par" price.

...and you're making the assumption that granny can't think for herself and make her own decisions.

You're also assuming that granny doesn't have control of her own finances and her relatives have legally been signed over to make those financial decisions on her behalf.

All care home CQC ratings (and report findings) are available to the public, and granny (and her relatives if she wishes) are always very welcome to visit in advance of deciding that's where she'd like to move to.

...and you're making the assumption that granny can't think for herself and make her own decisions.

You're also assuming that granny doesn't have control of her own finances and her relatives have legally been signed over to make those financial decisions on her behalf.

All care home CQC ratings (and report findings) are available to the public, and granny (and her relatives if she wishes) are always very welcome to visit in advance of deciding that's where she'd like to move to.

It happens - I've seen it happen. But if someone has dementia they will have a limited capacity to make decisions. If it's in the hands of a social worker (in lieu of a competent or bothered relative), once someone is in a home an overworked social worker won't keep checking in.

The CQC don't have enough teeth and the reports aren't as transparent as they could be. And yes, relatives can look round a home - and I'd argue that carries more weight than a CQC report.

In my (heartbreaking) experience There is very little choice unless the person needing care has all their faculties in reasonable working order and plenty of ready cash to pay for the fees.

Do Sheffield City Council have any Council run care homes left? Serious question. I'd heard that they were /are all going to be sold off to private companies, who make their own rules.

No, most council owned / run care homes in Sheffield were closed 20+ years ago.

Other councils (Derbyshire still do to the best of my knowledge) and charge the going rate.

Not closed - transferred to Sheffcare,

Not closed - transferred to Sheffcare,

?

Is that privatisation by the back door?

?

Is that privatisation by the back door?

Sort of, although Sheffcare is a charity and a not for profit organisation and was created for this very purpose.

Sort of, although Sheffcare is a charity and a not for profit organisation and was created for this very purpose.

Call me an old cynic, but these days some charities are nothing of the sort, and are simply a tax dodge.

I'm not saying this one is, but there's a lot of money to be made in having 'charitable status.'