Sheffield council care home fees

Your final sentence should be highlighted as many people don't realise that if a person has assets e.g., money in the bank or property, this will be taken to pay for the care home fees regardless of what is written in their Will .

A very good point. These assets also include the sale of furniture or ornaments etc. Anything that would raise funds.

You will also be asked for copies of bank statements for all accounts for a period of time so they can calculate income/outgoings (and look for potential savings being transferred to family/friends!). Go through the statements in advance and ensure you know what all the transactions are and how regular they are etc.

Someone from the PC brigade will soon be along to berate you for your post.

He's only stating facts I too would like to why we keep sending Aid money to these countries. I've got an grandmother who has got Dementia we had to fight tooth and nail for her care while the government sends off millions a week overseas makes me really mad.

---------- Post added 05-02-2017 at 10:07 ----------

A very good point. These assets also include the sale of furniture or ornaments etc. Anything that would raise funds.

You will also be asked for copies of bank statements for all accounts for a period of time so they can calculate income/outgoings (and look for potential savings being transferred to family/friends!). Go through the statements in advance and ensure you know what all the transactions are and how regular they are etc.

So an Will does not safeguard inherited property nor money they are craftie.

He's only stating facts I too would like to why we keep sending Aid money to these countries. I've got an grandmother who has got Dementia we had to fight tooth and nail for her care while the government sends off millions a week overseas makes me really mad.

Did you receive an Annual Tax Summary through the post recently?

(example here)

I did, and wow, it's sobering reading.

It really puts Our Nige's xenophobic comments into perspective, and if it had been published prior the referendum I'm confident it would pushed the saner Brexiters to vote remain once they realise how small a slice of our taxes go to the EU budget and overseas aid.

Did you know my contribution to Health was over 16 times my contribution to Overseas aid?

And my contribution to Welfare is over 20 times my contribution to Overseas aid?

In fact, even my contribution to Defence was over 4 times my contribution to Overseas aid (you could say I spend 4 times as much killing foreigners, than I do saving them).

So if I contribute 37 times more to Welfare and Health than I do in overseas aid, perhaps you should start blaming somebody else for your grandmother's predicament?

No - a will is for after death. This is fees that need to be paid whilst the individual is still alive, therefore need to find means to pay.

You can put things in place in to save this, particularly if one half a couple goes into care but it varies very much from council to council on what they look for and assess. But you're right - planning is vital.

But if my mum has to go into care and her house gets sold so she could go into perhaps a nicer home, so what?

You can put things in place in to save this, particularly if one half a couple goes into care but it varies very much from council to council on what they look for and assess. But you're right - planning is vital.

But if my mum has to go into care and her house gets sold so she could go into perhaps a nicer home, so what?

I wouldn't mind either if this was true, but in my experience it usually isn't.

At a minimum care home cost of £500 per week most people owning an average house will have to sell it (before or after death,) to pay the fees, and the comfort and care in many of these homes is quite simply not worth the money. It is a rip off.

If you go for a higher priced care home (the sky's the limit,) care will not necessarily be better although the place may look more swish, and the money will simply run out quicker. Even at £500 a week (that's £26,000 a year, and unbelievably that doesn't include the cost of 'board and lodging' fees which will be added on top) the money will probably be gone in less than 4 years. Once the money is all gone and if no one can be found to stump up the cost, the home will transfer the person somewhere else, usually to the cheapest place they can find, even if it's at the other end of the country.

It is a business, run for profit.

[/b]

At a minimum care home cost of £500 per week most people owning an average house will have to sell it (before or after death,) to pay the fees, and the comfort and care in many of these homes is quite simply not worth the money. It is a rip off.

If you go for a higher priced care home (the sky's the limit,) care will not necessarily be better although the place may look more swish, and the money will simply run out quicker. Even at £500 a week (that's £26,000 a year, and unbelievably that doesn't include the cost of 'board and lodging' fees which will be added on top) the money will probably be gone in less than 4 years. Once the money is all gone and if no one can be found to stump up the cost, the home will transfer the person somewhere else, usually to the cheapest place they can find, even if it's at the other end of the country.

My experience differs from yours - and the board and lodgings thing is included (unless SCC do it very very differently).

My experience differs from yours - and the board and lodgings thing is included (unless SCC do it very very differently).

Do Sheffield City Council have any Council run care homes left? Serious question. I'd heard that they were /are all going to be sold off to private companies, who make their own rules.

And what happens if you have no house or savings.?

[/b]

Doesn't include 'board and lodgings'?! Are you serious?! The fees include EVERYTHING. Care, food/drink, their room. The only things usually not paid for are hairdressing, podiatry and personal items - toothpaste, shampoo, shower gel etc. Don't believe everything the newspapers write.

You have to make your own decision on the individual home. Each person's needs differ to another's, and each home will differ in the needs it can cater for. Absolutely, the bigger and more expensive does not necessarily mean that the level of care will be any better/worse. However, certainly the facilities and size of the bedrooms and communal areas often differ.

Of course it's a business. Anything that involves a cost is a business and you'd be narrow minded if you thought otherwise. Everything has to at least break even if not profit, or it wouldn't be able to run. They have bills to pay, staff to pay, buildings to maintain - they don't pay for themselves.

I'll repeat what I said before - every individual will be means tested to see what they can afford to pay. Everybody will be entitled to keep the same amount each week (the personal allowance), and any remainder must go towards the cost of the fees (they of course may have some leftover). It also means that every individual has the same access to each home - there's no social divide like there used to be ('I have no money so I have to go in a cheap home but those with lots of money get the best'). Everyone has access to everywhere.

---------- Post added 05-02-2017 at 20:09 ----------

And what happens if you have no house or savings.?

You will have a state pension. That money will go towards your care fees, and the council will cover the rest. You'll be given a personal allowance each week out of your income (pension) that you can spend/save as you wish.

No because a Will only comes into actual when someone's dies. Until they do, all of their savings and property will be sold and used to fund their care.

If someone has no savings or assets because they have ****** it all up against a wall they will get it all for free.

In other words - spend all your money and enjoy life while you can because if you save your money hoping to give it to your family when you die you will probably end up funding your own care when you get ill.

Best to give all your money away whilst you are well enough to enjoy seeing others enjoy it.

Edited by Daven

Doesn't include 'board and lodgings'?! Are you serious?! The fees include EVERYTHING. Care, food/drink, their room. The only things usually not paid for are hairdressing, podiatry and personal items - toothpaste, shampoo, shower gel etc. Don't believe everything the newspapers write.

You have to make your own decision on the individual home. Each person's needs differ to another's, and each home will differ in the needs it can cater for. Absolutely, the bigger and more expensive does not necessarily mean that the level of care will be any better/worse. However, certainly the facilities and size of the bedrooms and communal areas often differ.

Of course it's a business. Anything that involves a cost is a business and you'd be narrow minded if you thought otherwise. Everything has to at least break even if not profit, or it wouldn't be able to run. They have bills to pay, staff to pay, buildings to maintain - they don't pay for themselves.

I'll repeat what I said before - every individual will be means tested to see what they can afford to pay. Everybody will be entitled to keep the same amount each week (the personal allowance), and any remainder must go towards the cost of the fees (they of course may have some leftover). It also means that every individual has the same access to each home - there's no social divide like there used to be ('I have no money so I have to go in a cheap home but those with lots of money get the best'). Everyone has access to everywhere.

---------- Post added 05-02-2017 at 20:09 ----------

You will have a state pension. That money will go towards your care fees, and the council will cover the rest. You'll be given a personal allowance each week out of your income (pension) that you can spend/save as you wish.

This is so wrong. If you have no money you will have to go where the council is prepared to pay for you. Do you really think cash strapped councils will happily pay £1,000 a week for people to go into the 'best' homes when there are cheaper one's available?