Sheffield council care home fees

does anyone know how much the council will actually pay to place someone with dementia in a care home,ive been told the maximum they pay is 430 pounds but the cheapest care home for dementia is just over 500

Yes, the £430 figure is about right, and you'll be lucky to find a care home for less than £500 a week. The shortfall has to be made up by a 'sponsor' ie. a friend or relative who has to sign a contract to that effect before the elderly person will be admitted.

I don't know what happens if the friend or relative cannot afford to pay the shortfall, maybe someone else can tell you that, but I assume the carehome will simply refuse to accept the elderly person.

I think it's disgraceful and have said so often on SF, but seem to get very little support from other posters, yet this is something that will potentially affect everyone sooner or later. I don't think people appreciate the problem until it affects them.

My nan went into care in Oct 2015 - it was residential care in a nursing home. Whilst she did not have dementia, the home did have residents with dementia.

What she was able to pay was assessed, and the council paid the rest. The home's fees were relatively standard (forgive me for not remembering).

It's all about means tested these days. The individual is allowed a 'personal allowance' each week, the rest of their income must go towards their care fees.

We were aware of the 'sponsor' clause, but we were advised by the finance person at the council that we didn't need to worry about that as the care home was either in a certain band or their fees were under a certain limit (even though the advertised fee was higher).

Speak to the care finance team at the council. I honestly found them really helpful.

In addition - the fees are often sorted out after the individual has moved into the home, especially if they are moving from hospital or there is risk to continue living at home. Any fees that have accrued will then need paying for once it's sorted out (assuming there is a fee).

Does the person in question have a medical need, alongside their dementia? If so, it is worth looking into CHC (continuing healthcare) - this is a top up fee to cover the nursing fees, enabling the individual to be cared for in the community rather than in hospital.

Edited by S8 Blade

My nan went into care in Oct 2015 - it was residential care in a nursing home. Whilst she did not have dementia, the home did have residents with dementia.

<snip> I don't have anything to add, but I just wanted to say that this is the best post I have seen on SF in a long time. Well thought out, reasoned and gives the facts.

Well done S8 Blade, you are a credit to this community.

Maybe we should look after our own, reduce the 12 billion we send overseas in "aid" (India are a nuclear power and have a space programme) India 110–120 warheads Pakistan 120–130 warheads.

Why do we send them money for instance.

Meanwhile many of our old and infirm are neglected, why?.

Angel1

Maybe we should look after our own, reduce the 12 billion we send overseas in "aid" (India are a nuclear power and have a space programme) India 110–120 warheads Pakistan 120–130 warheads.

Great idea!

Perhaps we can give our elderly the £350million that the EU takes off us every week?

Our Nige' and BoJo the Clown have made it clear it ain't going to the NHS, but there has to be some other worthy cause it can go to ?

Yes, the £430 figure is about right, and you'll be lucky to find a care home for less than £500 a week. The shortfall has to be made up by a 'sponsor' ie. a friend or relative who has to sign a contract to that effect before the elderly person will be admitted.

I don't know what happens if the friend or relative cannot afford to pay the shortfall, maybe someone else can tell you that, but I assume the carehome will simply refuse to accept the elderly person.

I think it's disgraceful and have said so often on SF, but seem to get very little support from other posters, yet this is something that will potentially affect everyone sooner or later. I don't think people appreciate the problem until it affects them.

The reason I can't give support to this is that I'm not sure you've got a full grasp of the facts. £430 sounds about right but as another poster families aren't press ganged into paying additional fees and old people aren't wandering around Sheffield with dementia and care homes aren't empty. Many are full, many have waiting lists. Some will need to be topped up, but not all by any stretch. There are people in care homes with no family and no assets.

<snip> I don't have anything to add, but I just wanted to say that this is the best post I have seen on SF in a long time. Well thought out, reasoned and gives the facts.

Well done S8 Blade, you are a credit to this community.

Why, thank you very much! :)

I am happy to help where possible. It is a stressful time as it is, without the added stress of finances; trying to work out they're entitled to or not entitled to and how it all works.

Our councils often take a lot of stick, but I cannot praise the lady who supported us enough.

On the subject of a care home refusing to take someone, as another poster has pointed out; there is somewhere for everyone. Hence why councils now use means testing. Many homes accept those living with dementia, it doesn't necessarily have to be a dementia specific home. I bet 95% of care homes have dementia care facilities.

Edited by S8 Blade

Sheffield council are very good as far as paying care expences for the vulnerable elderly is concerned. As stated previously Everything is assessed on needs and means. My father had need of care in his final years. First at home but then in a care home. Social services/ Social workers were very good helping to sort things out. His house was sold after he died to meet the final bill.

Why do we send them money for instance.

Meanwhile many of our old and infirm are neglected, why?.

Angel1

Someone from the PC brigade will soon be along to berate you for your post.

Sheffield council are very good as far as paying care expences for the vulnerable elderly is concerned. As stated previously Everything is assessed on needs and means. My father had need of care in his final years. First at home but then in a care home. Social services/ Social workers were very good helping to sort things out. His house was sold after he died to meet the final bill.

Your final sentence should be highlighted as many people don't realise that if a person has assets e.g., money in the bank or property, this will be taken to pay for the care home fees regardless of what is written in their Will .

Edited by Daven