Fines for parking beyond clearway signs

Bad luck Alcoblog. I don't understand why these bits of the road don't have double yellows, is it perhaps a scheme to fool unwitting drivers and make them part with their cash? I hadn't realised it was £70.

I would disagree re parking in Hillsborough, there's plenty during the day when the workers have gone to work. Just avoid those road ends.

I got caught in Sheffield centre on an unmarked stretch a few years ago. I won't make that mistake again. Robbing Bar Stewards.

I don't understand why these bits of the road don't have double yellows, is it perhaps a scheme to fool unwitting drivers and make them part with their cash? I hadn't realised it was £70.

I would disagree re parking in Hillsborough, there's plenty during the day when the workers have gone to work. Just avoid those road ends.

The 24 hour clearways were put in when Supertram was constructed at the insistence of Her Majesty's Railway Inspectorate (HMRI), who are the regulatory body for railways in the UK.

Manchester's tram system predated ours and they used double yellow lines to protect the route and junctions along it. However, there had been problems with vehicles still parking on the double yellows up the side streets, obstructing larger vehicles turning in off the main roads and resulting in delays to the trams.

HMRI required Sheffield to use the 24 hour clearways because they are the most effective waiting restriction available as they forbid stopping for any reason, even stopping to set down or pick up passengers is forbidden.

They have been in for over 20 years, so local drivers have had plenty of time to get used to them.

Councils never, ever put in a restriction to "fool unwitting drivers". They are there for very good reasons, which are often safety related. I have worked in this field for enough years to know that this is absolutely true.

The 24 hour clearways were put in when Supertram was constructed at the insistence of Her Majesty's Railway Inspectorate (HMRI), who are the regulatory body for railways in the UK.

Manchester's tram system predated ours and they used double yellow lines to protect the route and junctions along it. However, there had been problems with vehicles still parking on the double yellows up the side streets, obstructing larger vehicles turning in off the main roads and resulting in delays to the trams.

HMRI required Sheffield to use the 24 hour clearways because they are the most effective waiting restriction available as they forbid stopping for any reason, even stopping to set down or pick up passengers is forbidden.

They have been in for over 20 years, so local drivers have had plenty of time to get used to them.

Councils never, ever put in a restriction to "fool unwitting drivers". They are there for very good reasons, which are often safety related. I have worked in this field for enough years to know that this is absolutely true.

The 'fooling unwitting drivers' was tongue in cheek Planner although it's obvious some do park unwittingly. I posted because I was surprised so many people still don't know what the signs mean. Nearly every week there's a car with a notice on the windscreen on Primrose Hill! Perhaps the signs plus double yellows would be the best deterrent.

Edited by Ms Macbeth
Predictive text!

Perhaps the signs plus double yellows would be the best deterrent.

You can't have double yellows on a 24 hour clearway. There is no road marking associated with that restriction.

If the tram was being put in now, I would guess they might use red routes, but they weren't available outside London when the tram system was built and it would be very costly to change the restrictions now.

I got done by the parking gestapo last weekend when I parked on a leafy side road in Hillsborough. It was a residential street, but I did actually get out of the car and check for written signage as usual (residents parking only/ no parking between certain hours etc) on lamp posts and whatever, and there were none. No yellow lines or anything.

I only parked up for ten minutes (max) and got back to a £70 ticket. Apparently there was one of the clearway motifs (although no written signage) that I'd missed (hardly difficult when it doesn't face the road). I wasn't blocking the main road whatsoever.

My very seldom used repertoire of most foul language came in pretty useful when I caught up with the smirking duo of fine-givers after they called me an idiot for not seeing the sign in the first place. They even admitted it was not easy to see (whilst still smirking)!

Why don't they just paint double yellows on the road like anywhere else?

Cash cow for the Council. Avoid Hillsborough shops.

Bang on, the reason they do not paint double yellows is because people would see clearly that it is illegal to park and they would not get the rip of fines that the obscure little signs get for them .

They tell me that they have to put these signs on tram routes because a Government dept decrees it but fail to explain why they have not done this on Holme Lane .

---------- Post added 04-02-2017 at 17:29 ----------

For the umpteenth time why are they not on Holme Lane if that is your excuse for these cash cows.

Bang on, the reason they do not paint double yellows is because people would see clearly that it is illegal to park and they would not get the rip of fines that the obscure little signs get for them ..

Absolute and utter nonsense and you know it.

You've clearly never seen the signs if you think they are little. As for obscure, it's your duty as a driver to understand the signs used in this country and obey the restrictions they convey. It's no-one's fault but yours if you fail to do so and get a penalty.

For the umpteenth time why are they not on Holme Lane if that is your excuse for these cash cows.

And for the umpteenth time I'll tell you I don't know and neither does anyone who still works for the Council.

Supertram system was constructed well over 20 years ago. Most people who worked on it are long gone and no-one keeps records more than around five years these days unless there is a legal requirement, so no documentation to look up.

good example, go to Harrolds locksmiths, they have a big car park you can use, but , some people get caught out, on the end of shepherd st next to shop is clearway, but for a few yards there are no yellow lines , no signs saying you cant park here,, ive seen traffic wardens lurking there just for a victim , and it is a regular spot for them,

good example, go to Harrolds locksmiths, they have a big car park you can use, but , some people get caught out, on the end of shepherd st next to shop is clearway, but for a few yards there are no yellow lines , no signs saying you cant park here,, ive seen traffic wardens lurking there just for a victim , and it is a regular spot for them,

As is Middlewood Road when there is a match on .

They appear like ghosts in the night when the match is on and very quickly disappear before it ends .

Genuine question.

Why is it only approx.between 8am and 5pm that you get a ticket from a parking warden?

Is it less of an offence, or less dangerous, or less of an obstruction to trams, emergency vehicles etc.etc. outside these times?

Drive down London Road of an eve. or through Firvale and cars are parked on dub yells

and all manner of obstructive places. Nothing gets done.

Edited by andrejuan

This makes sense, apart the bit about 24 hour clearways being effective. They're manifestly not! (Well not along Middlewood/Langsett they aren't, if the number of cars ticketed at the end of our street is anything to go by).

Genuine question.

Why is it only approx.between 8am and 5pm that you get a ticket from a parking warden?

Is it less of an offence, or less dangerous, or less of an obstruction to trams, emergency vehicles etc.etc. outside these times?

Drive down London Road of an eve. or through Firvale and cars are parked on dub yells

and all manner of obstructive places. Nothing gets done.

They have patrols on the main roads a peak hours. A badly parked vehicle can inconvenience a lot more drivers at peak times.

Up till now they have had very limited evening coverage after 7pm and mainly keep in the city centre, although I do know they venture up London Rd sometimes.

They are now moving towards working later so you can expect better evening coverage.

---------- Post added 04-02-2017 at 20:34 ----------

This makes sense, apart the bit about 24 hour clearways being effective. They're manifestly not! (Well not along Middlewood/Langsett they aren't, if the number of cars ticketed at the end of our street is anything to go by).

By most effective I meant they basically prohibit stopping at all for any reason. Other restrictions allow stopping for various reasons like loading or setting down / picking up passengers.

---------- Post added 04-02-2017 at 20:39 ----------

good example, go to Harrolds locksmiths, they have a big car park you can use, but , some people get caught out, on the end of shepherd st next to shop is clearway, but for a few yards there are no yellow lines , no signs saying you cant park here,

Yes there are signs saying you can't park there if you care to look. There are two large Clearway signs with an "End" plate below them. If you park before you are past the Clearway End signs, you are still in the Clearway. That's pretty clear isn't it?